• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would like to try fishing for Flats

ronyag

Is someone willing to show me the ropes on fishing the Minnesota for Flats? Is a get together planned?

I have a 16' MV Jon with a 50 hp/sonar/troller and all the stuff. I live in the north end of the cities and don't know where to go. It will take me an hour just to get there. I cross the MN going to the airport all the time but have no idea where to launch and where to go. I have 3 Ugly Sticks with Bait Runner reels spooled with 80lb, 50lb and 30lb. I have caught many a Channel but never a Flat. A map with some instructions, and an idea of what to expect for current would be fine. Any help would be great.

Welcome to FM ronyag. You will find a bunch of info on here. There are some great cat guys that will let you know where to go. I think Blackdog launch is one of the good ones. I just wanted to welcome you, there are better fishers than me that will tell you where to go and what to use.

Welcome Ron!

That is a great name. My father's name is Ron grin.

I would also check out the Minnesota River Forum also. Get ready to spend gas, time on the road, and money, lots and lots of money, with little return at first. Most of these guys with the big fish go two or three times a week, plus weekends. Plus, when ever I seem to make it down the bite shuts down cry.

Good luck dude, it still is fun though!

Thanks guys! I will look into forming a plan for the weekend. Got to fly out for work this week but rest assured my mind will be on the Cats of the Minnesota. Any flats by the 610 on the Miss.? I saw some great looking water down there but hear it's too shallow to get to. Any thoughts?

The general consensus is there are no flatheads from Coon Rapids dam down to St. Anthony. So I would look to pool 2 or the Minnesota as your closest bets for flats, as there is a proven catchable population in those waters..