• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Lube

DTro

Is there a recommended use life for this?

Seems like a no brainer to change a couple times a year if a lot of hours on the motor.

How often does everyone change?

I usually do mine every fall , mainly to get rid of any water that got in it.

This is exactly the reason you want to do it in the fall - to get rid of any water in the gearcase and reducing the chance that the water will freeze and push the seals out.

With respect to changing it in spring again - I don't think it's needed, but whatever works for you.

marine_man

I do mine every fall - on my I/O and outboard. I use Mercury Lube+ for both motors. I do have a question on the I/O that I am hoping someone can help me with ...

On my Mercruiser (3.0) - is it necessary to drain all the lube out of the reservoir too when changing the lube? I would assume that that lube in the reservoir would be fine so could be left in it as long as you use the same lube.

After doing both for the first time my self, I was amazed to how much gear lube is in the I/O lower unit versus the outboard (75hp 2 stroke).

Thanks.