• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions for a good line counter reel

Hello!

I'm considering adding a line counter reel to the Musky equipment arsenal to be used for trolling. If anyone has some suggestions I'ld really appreciate them. My son, and I recently added the Abu 7000iC3 paired with a Shimano Compre rod to the gear collection. Will that set up work well for trolling?

I realize it will be more difficult to replicate line distance without a line counter, but I'm wondering if with shorter line-out distances do we even need a line counter reel for Muskies?

Thanks, and good luck to all on opener!!! (We have daughter's grad party this weekend, so not sure if we will be able to get out.......)

Unless you plan to do a lot of trolling, I would not bother with a linecounter. There are plenty of ways to replicate your line distance without a counter...counting passes, bolt on line counter, etc.

The setup you have should work fine for trolling. Just make sure to set your drag on the loose side to protect that rod.

And if you ever do want a reel with a line counter, it's hard to beat a Shimano Tekota LC. I just picked up the 600. I mated it to a Shimano Talora Planerboard 9' trolling rod. Seems to work great the afternoon I have got to use it so far. RK recommends the Talora/Tekota combo in his book.

The rapala clip on line counter works well, it's cheap, and it's more acurate than a line counter reel. The clip on's actually measures the line out, the line counter reels count the number of revolutions on the spool and converts that to feet of line, they are calibrated for a full spool (I think), so as line comes off your spool (or if you don't have your spool full of line) it becomes less acurate.

I have checked my line counter reel and found it is about 25% off, ex. counter says 125', actually line out 100'.

Check out the specs of your reels - one full turn of the handle retrieves X amount of line. Usually about 25" for ABUs. Then see how many turns it takes for line to make a full pass and you are good to go for muskies. Don't need to be nearly as accurate for musky as eyes. And the Talora/Tekota combo is the way to go if you do decide on a linecounter. That's what I use.

Quote:
My son, and I recently added the Abu 7000iC3 paired with a Shimano Compre rod to the gear collection. Will that set up work well for trolling?

the short answer. no to the rod. if memory serves that's a graphite only rod (never looked at one close) and typicly, especially with large lures, graphite will start breaking down from all the vibration. spend all the money you want on a rod but cannon rod's are the way to go for price and quality combination. and they are not my sponsor so nobody paid me to write that down. cannon makes their living off downriggiers. that's the trolling world series right there, and if you can't trust them who can you? or spend the money and walk into thorne brothers, ask for Pat, and say your looking for the hooly hoo of the hooley hoo's of trolling rods. he'll hand you a custom St. croix Rod made by them at a cost of 200 dollars(last year). it's the rod everybody(including me, before i sold the lure) hooks up their ''wishmasters'' to. at 250 to 400 bucks a lure, i think it's trustworthy enough. and the Tekota 600 is a nice reel. mines 2 years old and works great. holds one heck of alot of line too, if you want to long line. plenty of power, and sturdy. nice egg handle. but whatever rod you get make sure for your own sake it's got no more than 50% graphite and the other glass. good luck.