• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any suggestions

slabchaser

I have an 80's something 18horse merc tiller. Most years it takes a trip out to really start running well. This year it wouldnt start at all so I pulled the carb out and cleaned it and then it started and idled for quite a long time. Out on the water it idled fine right away but then died when in gear. Now it doesnt want to do either. Any suggestions of fixing it or any suggestions on who can fix it near the buffalo area. Thanks

How are the plugs? Make sure the idle mixture screw is about 1 1/2 turns out. Other things to check:

Fuel filter

Hose, bulb and connectors.

Water in the gas/fresh gas

Tank vent

How are the plugs? Make sure the idle mixture screw is about 1 1/2 turns out. Other things to check:

Fuel filter

Hose, bulb and connectors.

Water in the gas/fresh gas

Tank vent

I'm having a problem like that and found water in the gas. Everything else boatfixer listed is good things to check as well.

How thorough of a cleaning job did you do on the carb? It is possible that you didn't get all of the ports cleaned. Also, if the float isn't set right, you could end up having either a flood condition, or a lean condition if it is not in the right spot.