• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fiberglass boat / roller trailer

backtroller1

Question

My brother inlaw is looking at a fiberglass runabout, with a roller trailer under it. I think that a bunk style trailer would still be best. Can anyone tell me if I am incorrect on that thinking. I always thought that the roller trailer can damage the hull of a fiberglass boat. Any and ALL input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

You are correct in the assumption. Bunks are best for a glass boat. They support the hull evenly and make it a dream to load and unload. Rollers are great for aluminum boats, but not glass. If he is serious about looking at the boat, he should probably have the hull looked at by a professional just to make sure there isn't any damage.

The one point that could be made, if the boat was owned by a person living on the lake and it only spends the winters on the trailer it might be different.

That is the exact case, the seller lives on the lake and it was only on the trailer in the winter months, however, my brother in law would be transporting to different waters. Can a roller trailer be redone and put bunks on instead?

There is nothing wrong with roller trailer that is properly setup to match a glass boat. If you look at a bunk trailer consider how many places the bunk meets a mount. It is at those points that were the majority of weight is being supported.

Now if this trailer is a mismatch and just something used to pull the boat out of the water with and store the boat on during the winter then you might need to replace the trailer or reconfigure or adjust the rollers.

Having said all that, the shape and steps(best area for support)or location of on some glass hulls are best supported with a bunk trailer. On the other hand I had a 25' glass boat where a roller trailer was the best trailer because of the shape of the hull.

I have a 92 Warrior with a Shorelander style roller trailer and it works very well. Amazingly easy to get on the trailer and the hull is fine.

Bunk trailers for glass boats is a bit of a generalization. Depends on the situation.