Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigWadeS

Deck Refinishing ???

8 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to power wash and prep my deck for staining, however, I am noticing some of my boards are weathered and rough, would power washing be enough or do I need to sand them down? I am just trying not to have to replace the boards right now, but thinking that might have to happen to prevent as many slivers in the kids' hands and feet as possible...any tips please fire away!

Must be in full sun? Is it treated? I'd without seeing it, would wash (I never do that)let dry sand and use CWF for UV

PS: I do at times wash its the deck I'm speaking of.

pressure washing will do a good job cleaning it off but will open thge pores of the wood and make it rough when it dries.is it cedar or treated wood?

if it is cedar i would wash it with a commercial deck wash,scrub it with a nylon bristle brush then power wash it with a wide fan setting on the wand.let it dry a day or 2 then lightly go over it with an orbital sander with 120 grit paper to smooth it down,then seal it with a good sealer.(I use a clear sealer made for log houses on my deck, it is oil based and lasts 3 times longer than any other sealer I have tried)

I agree with [YouNeedAuthorization] on it. I use a deck wash and bristle brush on it to clean it.

I use a brand called transformation.You can get it at log home specialty stores or on the web . It is kinda expensive but worth it. Use 2 coats with it.

[YouNeedAuthorization] --

Thanks for the tips did the sanding and cleaning and then I put on my stain. I used Olympic stain as I have had pretty good luck with that in previous applications...need to do some touch up work, but thanks for the sanding tip....! wink