• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grubs

Bearfan1963

Had a beautifull lawn until last year. Use the 4 step program to take care during year, water regularly, and last year the grubs got me, nasty little devils. At first I thought I had burnt the grass, but after talking with a few friends, I find that it was grubs. I went to get Grub killer, but it says to apply in late june to mid july. Can I still apply now or do I wait, and do I apply every year to maintain or is there something else to rid myself of these lawn destroying pests and keep them gone. Thanks in advance for responses.

I cant remember the exact time to treat for grubs but i think you want to do this from mid to late July. That is when the grubs feeds the most.

A product called Merit is the best product for grub control. Mach 2 is another that works well.

Merit is good. However we use a product called Symitar. We kinda watch for alot of bird activity on the tees, fairways and greens. One way to find out if you do have grub prolems is to cut off the bottom of a coffee can and sink it in the ground about 4 inches, pour alittle dish washing soap, Dawn, etc, some water that'll really bring em to the surface in short order for identifiication. Regardless of what a guy uses...."FOLLOW THE LABEL"!!!! Herbicide application is NOT the idea of "if a little is good alot is better". I'm wondering if your problem might be cut worms.

There's another easy way to check if it's grubs. If the grass lifts up like carpet, it's grubs. However, I kinda doubt it is grubs. I look at about 4-5,000 lawns a year, and I might see a dozen lawns a year that actually have a grub problem. It could be cut worms, sod webworms, and a host of other problems. If I were you, I'd have a professional come and look at it. Most will do a free inspection for ya.