• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spider Lake ride 05/17/2008 Who's going ? Post if you plan to attend,

SomethingFishy*

We will be riding Spider Lake on 05/17/2008. Post here if you are planning to attend so we don't leave anybody behind. It looks like we will have beatiful riding weather .

Time: Meet at Approximately 9-9:30 Be ready to ride by 10am.

Lunch: Pack a trail lunch to bring on your ATV or leave in your vehicle as there are no places to stop for a meal, it is easy to get back to the riding area to grab lunch.

Gas: Bring extra fuel as there is nowhere to purchase gas once we leave HWY/371 or HWY/64 depending which direction you come from.

Location/Parking/Directions:

Cass County

From Pine River, 12 mi W on Co Rd 2 (24th St SW), then S 1.5 mi on Spider McKinley Forest Rd to parking area. The parking is inside of the area that we will ride.

I should be driving a white 4 door chevy pickup with 4 machines, there will also most likely be a lifted 4 door red ford F150 and various others in the group.

I will check back to this post at 9pm this evening to grab the list of those that are planning to attend.

See you there.

I'll be there and will be picking up Bjjams on the way. I'll have to try to be in St. Cloud by 7AM to get up there on time.

Where did all the people come from? Fishy did your family start coming out of the woodwork or what? The nice weather brings everyone out. grin

Where did all the people come from? Fishy did your family start coming out of the woodwork or what? The nice weather brings everyone out. grin

Here is who I know is coming from our area.

Josh (me)Sportsman 800

Stacy (girlfriend) Sportsman 800

Todd (uncle) Sportsman 500

Troy (uncle) Sportsman 800

Justin (brother)Grizzly 660

Zach (cousin)Brute Force 750

+ atleast 3 others that my brother knows will be meeting up with us.

We will be meeting up with my brother/cousin in Little Falls on the way up.

we are leaving my place at 7am. then headed to the gas station. we are meeting my brother in Little Falls at 7:45 and leaving from there by 8am. They are making a quick stop in Brainerd to pick up a part for a suzuki so they will be about 10min behind.

See you at the parking area.

Well, what did you guys think of the ride?

I thought it worked out pretty well. It's always tough meeting people that you don't know, but everyone seemed nice.

The trails were a little dusty, but the scenery was nice. There were more rocky trails than I thought there would be and the trails were somewhat technical. The weather worked out well, even with a few scattered rain clouds, that just dribbled for a few minutes at a time. Not enough to even wet the trails.

It was a good ride. I think we logged between 50-55 miles in about 5 hours of riding. Kinda wish I had my cam setup for some of the trails, but it would have been tough to turn the camera on and off, being we had to keep both hands on the bars through most of it with the speed we were going. I wouldn't mind going back up there for a weekend trip with fewer people and actually taking a little more time to look around on the trails. Overall, I'm happy with the ride.

Thanks to Fishy and Bjjams for the 3 of us that came from FM. I think there was about 12 of us total.

If I may say something........ blush

As soon as I noticed, no helmets, loud pipes, flashy wheels, young guys, high HP machines........I knew someone was going to be trying to prove something. LOL grin Although when talking in a group or one on one, the attitude I thought I would see, wasn't there. Actually somewhat respectful and nice people, just wish they rode that way. Just my opinion and it doesn't mean much. smile I don't mean to offend.

I'm hoping for a group camp-out ride sometime this summer. Would be great to have a few days, and in-between could have a "fast" ride just for people who wanted to go. Just an idea......

If I may say something........ blush

As soon as I noticed, no helmets, loud pipes, flashy wheels, young guys, high HP machines........I knew someone was going to be trying to prove something. LOL grin Although when talking in a group or one on one, the attitude I thought I would see, wasn't there. Actually somewhat respectful and nice people, just wish they rode that way. Just my opinion and it doesn't mean much. smile I don't mean to offend.

Me being the type to never keep my big mouth shut would have probably said something. blush

It doesn't hurt to voice your concerns. Our sport has enough issues to deal with. But this is just my .02.

Yup Roofer my email is the same. Wish I could have made it yesterday but I havent even gotten a chace to check mine over since the last time we rode. Between working crazy hours and trying to get everything organized after the move its been pretty busy over here. Gonna have to get out for at least one day next weekend! Starting to get wheeler withdraws I think! laugh

I had fun, I always enjoy going to spider lake but I had a few of the same observations as Roofer. Sometime people can get so caught up in the ride they don't pay atttention to the people around them, kind of greedy riding. I can be guilty of that too. It might have just been too big of group with too many fast riders. Roofer hit on the head when he said it would be a good place to spend a little time and have slower scenery ride and have a fast rider only ride.

LEP7MM- one might be prone to say something that you personally frown upon, but at the same time none of that is illegal. I don't ride without a helmet but the state says it's okay. High hp is legal, loud pipes for the most part are legal. You can't get on somebody's case when the state says it's fine.

Roofer and Somethingfishy could you send me those pics and videos?

LEP7MM- one might be prone to say something that you personally frown upon, but at the same time none of that is illegal. I don't ride without a helmet but the state says it's okay. High hp is legal, loud pipes for the most part are legal. You can't get on somebody's case when the state says it's fine.

I agree. I just look at the bigger picture. But in the case of not paying attention to those around you, or greedy riding as you put it, or riding in a careless/reckless manner, that is against the law.

I wasn't there Saturday and wish I was. I'm going through withdrawls. Maybe once June comes around, we can 2nd mortgage our houses and get another ride set up.

I'm not here to preach to the choir, just voicing my opinion and pointing out a couple things to consider for the next time.

Originally Posted By: Bjjams

I agree. I just look at the bigger picture. But in the case of not paying attention to those around you, or greedy riding as you put it, or riding in a careless/reckless manner, that is against the law.

I wasn't there Saturday and wish I was. I'm going through withdrawls. Maybe once June comes around, we can 2nd mortgage our houses and get another ride set up.

I'm not here to preach to the choir, just voicing my opinion and pointing out a couple things to consider for the next time.

Fast riding is not neccasarily reckless nor Illegal, as stated helmets are not required. Watching for those behind you is not a requirement or a matter of legality, in this instance I would call it poor manners and lack of courtesy, thus why my GF was at the end of the pack with the helmet comm trying to keep the group together.

Fast riding is not neccasarily reckless nor Illegal, as stated helmets are not required. Watching for those behind you is not a requirement or a matter of legality, in this instance I would call it poor manners and lack of courtesy, thus why my GF was at the end of the pack with the helmet comm trying to keep the group together.

I must say that those chatterboxes are really nice when you are riding in a larger group. One in front and one in back and no one gets left behind.

Originally Posted By: Bjjams

I didn't take any pictures other than my cousin getting pulled out of the mud by the suburban.

That's cool, for some reason I thought you took some more when we stopped.

I'm not trying to start anything here and maybe I read more into the posts that what was meant.

I also don't mean to argue, but depending on how fast they were going, many trails have posted speed limits and faster operation, depending on the conditions and visibility, could be considered reckless operation.

In posting this information, I'm only trying to point out what a CO will tell you. Some CO's may view fast riding without a helmet as being reckless. A lot also has to do with the interpretation of the patrolling officer.

The bottom line is you guys had fun and no one got hurt.

The only speeding that I am aware of was going down 371 in my truck, the state trooper was kind enough to point that out to me when he gave me my $127 ticket for passing a slow and inconsistent driver.

I will be careful to watch what I post here as it seems others are always quick to pick apart or misinterpet things that are posted. Too many things are taken out of context. One man's six is another mans half dozen.

SF,

you didn't post anything wrong. It was more than likely a case of I read more into the posts than what was actually being said. For that I apologize.

Bummer on the speeding ticket. I know exactly what you mean about the slow and inconsistent drivers. See them everyday on ym commute.

The helmet comm. seemed to work very well. I give a thumbs up to your GF fishy!

Nobody is raggin' on anyone. It's hard to know what people are really saying and their tone on the net. I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy's used to be WAY more trouble than that. That's nothing. If anything, I was just pickin' on ya. smile

The competition between friends and family can get things stirred up, but it wasn't anything 'off the deep end' illegal.

Of the people I have met and rode with on this site.....I feel proud to ride with you. Everyone has been very courteous and fun to be with.

Also, after spending time with alot of you.....I'm confident we are all on the same level and same page when it comes to riding atv's. Besides our jabbing about our specific brand of atv's, I doubt there would be much, if any discrepancy's on most subjects. It's rare to find people that can get along like that. smile

I have to say Spider Lake looks like an awesome place to camp! Lots of trails, nice camp sites (that I saw). I wonder how bad the bugs are and how crowded it gets in the summer????