• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

97 F150 Creaking and Groaning

I have a 97 F150 and now the front end starts to creak on the front passenger side. I noticed when hitting bumps and it will make a creak sound when the weight shifts. I went to that corner of the truck and push up and down on it and it creaks everytime. Is this a matter of lubrication or something much more serious?

I would have to say, possible sway bar link broken or bushing split. Could be control arm bushing also.

I would look down in the area and locate thesway bar, inspect bushing and see if link is broken. If not grab link and twist to see if it makes noise.

This would be where I would start and then go from their.

You have either ball joints or tie rod ends in you near future. We get about one of these or the expedition/explorer a day with the same noise. The ball joints/tie rod ends are not greasable from the factory.

If it only does it when bouncing (up and down over bumps) I would say sway bar bushings. If it does it bouncing and turn the wheel back and forth probably balljoints, there was also a problem with the pitman arms sqeaking on these.

Quote:
I noticed when hitting bumps and it will make a creak sound when the weight shifts.

The above is what got me thinking sway bar area.

But, how ever Airjer brings up a good point also. I have seen dry socket B-joints cause a creak when driving and while stopped and pushing down on hood.

I think we are all in the ball park though.

I would guess pitmen arm or a tie rod end, you can just grab the linkage and twist it if it squeaks as you are twisting it then it is the part you are twisting.

I went to the local Ford dealer today and while they changed my oil, I had them take a gander at it. They said they put a lot of grease in and also noticed the sway bar was bent and that might be causing it. I was hoping it was just grease points, but after driving home it was still making noise occasionally when the weight would shift from side to side so I'm thinking it's the sway bar that's the problem. Nice call shackbash! To remedy my problem, do I have it replaced? What is the price of something like that? Is this the start of something bigger (added a lot of grease). The rep said that was pretty unusual. I bought the truck used last summer with 112k on it and it now has 117k so have hardly used it. I tow a boat mainly in the summer/fall and only when it's snowy/nasty out in the winter. Not my cruise around vehicle with gas at $4. Thanks for all your help!

Either you could live with the noise or replace the sway bar. It will not lead to anything major. If it is in tack, you could go awhile with it the way it is. It will have to be replaced to cure the noise.

Good luck dude and thanks for reporting back.

I would like to know what they put alot of grease into. The only thing from the factor with zerks is the idler arm. Anything else would have been replaced.

Bent sway bar? Are the links still good? Make sure the sway bar is bent. Sway bar bushings aren't that bad to do, 4 bolts, slide the 2 brackets off, remove the 2 bushings and reverse the procedure installing the new bushings.

Greasing the bushing is a common practice. If they get rusty, they can cure squeak’s by greasing them. They told him the bar is bent and I supposed tried to quit the noise for him. Most likely if the sway bar is replaced, new bushings should be installed. If they are split, they should be replaced anyways.

I did some poking around this evening and noticed that on the driver's side of the sway bar there is a little post that comes through the sway bar and is capped on the top. On the passenger side, the little post comes up to the sway bar, but there is no cap holding it firm on there. When I pulled on the frame up and down, the groan would come as the post with plastic around it would come as the sway bar would rub against it at the opening of the hole through the sway bar. This looks like an easy fix as that little post has a nut on the bottom and can be pulled out. Anyone know/have a similar problem or any tips....I could take some pictures too tomorrow and post them on here for you to look at as well. Thanks!