• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinion on print/poster..

Wanted to see what you people would think of this pic for a frame or a poster.

Remember, I'm just experimenting different methods of doing this. So honest opinion is a must.

Through my work, we just got an new printer Epson Stylus Pro 9880 44 inch. I wanted to try to print it out. But first I wanted your thoughts on the picture before I print it.

eaglefamily.jpg

Let me know what you think honestly. Thanks in advance! smile

This is a great image!!

Just a tad dark on my monitor, but I could be off a little. I haven't calibrated in a while.

The trees really add to the composition and the nested eagles add a lot of energy to the overall image.

Lucky you!!

And yes... definitely large print worthy.

Hello. Its a nice image... I would crop out or clone out the blurred leaves on the right hand side.. probably choosing to clone out as the tree makes a nice frame! I also would consider cloning out the twig on the eagles right side (our left side) I'd also clone out the shadows on the eagles head. That IMHO would clean it up nicely. I like the BG color on this image!

Marc, here is my honest no holds assessment. I also agree its a bit dark. I find the branches and leaves detracting from the main focus of the image..the eagle and chicks. The eagle at the top has the line across the beak and is in shadow.

If you cropped to only show the eagle and chicks with no branches it works better for me. Of course you would also loose most of your pixels for an enlargement. I do love the background, the dark sky with the sun shinning on the subjects makes them really stand out.

So for me it wouldn't work as an enlargement. That is only my opinion and remember photographers are harsh critics that rarely mirror what most think about their work. Don't let my opinion sway what you want to do with this photo. If you have the opportunity to print from work and want to see what it looks like by all means go for it.

Sometimes things look vastly different when printed, especially at a larger size than what you see on a computer screen.

Ditto with Dan. I dont know alot about photography but I used to work for Toshiba for 5 years as the trainer and I know that when an image is enlarged to much its really grainy and only looks good from a distance, and it also depends on the quality of the machine your printing from. I say go for it anyhow, ya never know till you try.

In my honest opinion, the shadows from the branches across the top eagle's head, kind of degrades it for me. I have discarded many a photo due to shadows being cast in the wrong place. To me, the shadows are more distracting than the branches. That said, it still is a darned nice photo but there are just some things we can't control.

Hey guys! Thanks so much for your opinion. I agree, it's a bit dark. Will lighten it up a bit more.

I'll try to clone out the branches, also I'll see if I can crop out the branches. Will experiment and see what looks best.

Shadow on the female's head..yeah, I knew you'd say something about, ha! It's going to be tricky, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again guys! smile

I guess I'm gonna go against the grain and say just print it the way it is.

My eyes are immediately pulled to the adult and 2 chickys in the nest,so the rest is looked at secondary.

99 out of 100 people will love it the way it is-because 99 out of the 100 won't be photographers!. You will NEVER,EVER, please everyone,so if you like it-print it. You can spend days and days trying to make it better when you could be out shooting more photos while other people are enjoying that one.

I spend alot of time working on proper composition-and I need alot more practice, [non bird photos] and it seems to be much easier to get the shot right with the camera 1st.

To get a really good composition of a wild creature-in the wild,is extremely rare because wild critters don't like sitting still-which we all know. On one of our wooded properties there is a few flying squirrels that live there. My goal is to get some images of them flying,lounging,etc. I would love to get one in a perfect composition,but you can be sure if I get a sharp image of one that isn't a good comp,I'm printing it anyway. If you set a goal too high,you may never achieve it,and what's worse you may become obsessed with trying to get it and won't be able to move on to other subjects.

Enjoy what you have in the here and now,you will undoubtably create better images in the future-just add them to your collection.

Now,on the other hand,that 400 2.8 could be defective-I'll give you $2500 for it.

I will make one more statement and move on. MM is right if you are happy make a few changes and print away, that is really all that matters. You asked for honest opinions I gave you mine.

I also agree you will never please everyone so please yourself first and if you have a client please them first! I think in order to improve you do have to set your goals high, but don't become focused on only one shot or subject. Learn to see what is around you and always have the camera at hand so when an opportunity arises you can get a shot.

Spend some time looking at other highly respected photographers work. The first thing you will notice will be how perfectly exposed and how sharp the shots are. Set your first goal at getting perfectly exposed in-focus shots out of the camera on a consistent basis.

When you can do that set your next goal on getting good composition to the shots. Think about backgrounds, objects around the subject, the subject themselves.

If you constantly challenge your abilities you will improve. Don't get locked into one subject or one scenario. One thing that is for sure is that you will not look at your work the same as when you shot it. Time, as your work improves will change the way you view your work. For some that might be on a monthly basis and for most over the period of a year or two.

Again everyone is looking for something different in their photography. I photograph for mostly clients only so my view is from a different standpoint, its not the same as one who takes photographs mainly for themselves. In the end just do what makes you happy and you will have something that is enjoyable for years to come.