• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt-trim frustration....

herm

Input needed...I have a 2001 80 hp Yami/4stroke. 2-3 times last fall the tilt/trim got "stuck" with motor all the way up. I got it unstuck by loosening the screw as manual dictates. Before storage, took to a marine dealer who checked and fixed worn out foot control. Said problem solved...and it worked fine all spring until...you guessed it...at the ramp Saturday. (stuck again in up position.) Ran to boat dealer/mechanic near lake, who said it was not the worn out foot control but probably a sticky "relief" valve in the tilt/trim unit. Used screw driver again and back in business. Mechanic (very nice, by the way) guessed the only way to fix is replace entire tilt/trim unit...about $1200. (Ouch!) My questions are 1. Do you think he is right? 2. Given what happened last fall, how do you know for sure? 3. If I'm willing to carry a screw driver/etc., would that be sufficient until it really breaks or I win Powerball and can afford to pay $1200? P.S. Yes, I'm being very careful about not raising the motor as high as possible now.....

I don't believe you will need a new unit, they can rebuild the old one with nor problem, definitely cheaper than $ 1200

Have you tried to lift motor up and down many times ? Sometimes sticky valves just needs a little use

Boatfixer...I hear no clicks and the motor runs only when you hit the switch. (Or any switch - there are 4.) Valv - don't know how you define many. I use the boat weekly May-Nov and this spring alone used tilt/trim in garage a dozen times plus on the water twice. (Even now, it goes up and down like clockwork - although I'm chicken to run it all the way "up" as that's when the bad things happen....

Another update: The shop that "fixed it" last fall said to come in and they will look at it again to see if it's a relay or switch. (Doubt it, but I'm no pro.) They also will try to order a replacement screw. They said they likely can't do serious work for a few weeks.

Still looking for advice. Thanks in advanced.

If you're able to operate it up and down normally and then it gets stuck at the all the way up position it's highly unlikely that it's a switch or a relay. It sounds like something internal to the trim / tilt unit, some sort of valve / poppit.

I'd be tempted to manually raise the trim/tilt, with the relief valve open, all the way up several times and see if that helps things.

If it doesn't I think it's time for a look at the internals...

marine_man