• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EPI Springs and 2" Lift Kit

SomethingFishy*

I had a riding buddy who put the lift on, I believe, an 05 700 sportsman and he said the back was pretty easy but the front was a nightmare. I think the biggest thing is if you have the right tools for the job it's not too bad. Do you already have a spring compresser? Any particular reason you're lifting it?

No particular reason for lifting it, was riding with a guy this weekend that had one and liked the way it looked so figured the added ground clearance would be a bonus, also figured may as well do it at the same time I am putting th new springs in.

its not to bad of a job to do your self. I take my struts on and off often to get them re-valved etc.

I didnt need a spring compressor but I only did the front. I just put the quad on an atv lift so the wheels werent touching the ground. Took the top bolts off the strut housing, swing the top of the strut out from under the mounting point on the frame. Then slide out the old and put in the new.

The thing to make sure of with these is to tie a strap or something around both strut housings to keep them together and not let the cv-shafts fall off the axle splines. then you create way more work that you need.

I inadvertently let the front cv joints slide apart the first time I did this job myself. That pretty much doubled my install time.

I hear ya I like the looks of a lifted bike too, but I'm not a fan of the extra wear and tear they put on the cv's and driveline. Hopefully someday I can have one lifted with big tires and one set up for trails. Have you talked to anybody or read about how it rides with the lift and the springs? I'd be worried about the ride getting kind of stiff using both.

I didn't ride the one with the lift. From what I know the lift kit is an easy bolton on top of the shock/strut mounts, He was running an 06 500 EFI with the same lift and a set of EPI springs.

The additional wear on the machine was the only concern I had. Lift kit is $80 plus shipping.

I was just wondering if you would like the ride or not with the higher ride height. I haven't heard anyone say much with the small lifts.

IMO, as long as you don't go huge on the tires, you should be fine with the axles and CV's. It's really up to you and your thumb. Get too happy and things happen. I have broke CV's on a Polaris 400 2 stroke with 26" tires, but it was my fault. Wheels were turned and hit the throttle too hard in a bad spot. \:\)

The Sportsman will look great with a 2" lift. I always thought they looked a little too squatted with the newer, bigger plastic on them.

I figure the 2" lift should be negligible for ride quality, I figure I could put it in and if i'm not happy i'm not out much, or I could sell it to my uncle who was talking anout lifting his and putting wheel spacers on it.

I will probably leave the bighorns on it still and possibly by a set of 27 or 28" mud tires sometime in the future if I really want to play.

I am mostly excited for the EPI springs, I will probably put the factories up for grabs on the nation.

I installed High Lifter front springs on a Sportsman. Very easy. Don't need a spring compressor. Can do it in about 30 minutes. Lift kit will be a different story. Looks like you need to grind the struts for clearance for the cv joints for that badboy. Look at the Rubberdown info on the web for what needs to be done. The springs made a huge difference. Didn't need a lift.