• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the differance?

I have been reading about the epoxy used for rod building and have become confused as to difference. It don't take much for me...confused.gif blush.gif

Flex Coat has a rod builders epoxy glue and an epoxy rod wrapping finish.

Are they the same product?

What is your mode of operandi once the guides are in place with the thread wrapped around them?

All info is appreciated...

Scupper - They are two diff products. The epoxy glue is for glueing the handle components together and on the blank. Most any 2 part epoxy will work. I usually buy the 10-15 minute set time stuff at any hardware store - give it a few hours to a day to really set completely. The rod finish is for on the thread wraps....

Once your guides ar in place and wrapped you will need to give them a coat of "color preserver". You dont have to but if you skip this step the finish will soak into the thread and it will apear much darker than the original color. I did this on my first rod unintentionally. Green wraps turned almost black. You can do this intentionally with certain colors if your looking for a darker finished color. Anyways, I usually put on two coats of color preserver to make sure I didnt miss any spots. After that has dried then you can put on the rod finish. Most folks use two lite coats but you can get away with one thicker layer. Most finishes take 3 hours to set completely so your going to need to hold the rod horizontal and spin it slowly so the epoxy dosent sag or pick up a slow RPM dryer. It will take atleast 24 hours to completely harden, sometimes longer if the finish was not mixed right. Temp and humidity also play into set time...

I will echo what Dark Cloud said. Thread epoxy is specially formulated to cover the thread and stay somewhat flexible, it has no real bonding properties so glue handles is not a good use for it. It also stays clearer than than the bonding epoxy which has a tendency to yellow. Bonding epoxy is made to stick to things together and bond them. I doesn't stay flexible enough for thread coating and will also yellow from UV rays. I too use the long cure bonding epoxy, 2 reasons, 1 gives you a better bond, 2 it gives you some time to align everything you are trying to put together.

Great understandable information... I can't thank you fellow's enough.

I somehow knew I should of paid more attention to the 2 little syringe type epoxy containers that came in the rod building kit. \:\( . I now know what there intended use is which leads to my next inquiry... blush.gif

Now that I have the guides and the thread "EPOXIED" to the rod, should I just call it good...?

I suspect after the snickering and verbiage of four letter mutterings "That only a Father can convey" you kind individuals will set me straight and tell me to go fishing and learn from my mistakes. grin.gif

Thanks again and it is a fun activity albeit I am learning...