Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskminn

Need help with Older Mercury 9.8 HP

12 posts in this topic

My brother-in-law has an older "Kiekhafer" 110 Mercury 9.8 HP motor that he would like to sell, but it's got no tank or hose with it. He thinks the motor was made in the 70's. I've got a new Merc on my boat, so he brought it over last night to hook up to my gas and start it up. Well, my connection is different than what his motor takes, so we weren't very successful.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know what type of fuel line connection we need for this motor? If so, where can we find one?

2. What might this motor be worth? We popped the cover and it is amazingly clean. It has been two years since it has been used, but he said that it ran wonderfully and always started on no more than two pulls. Assuming it still runs fine.....what's it worth?

Any help would be appreciated.....thank you!

If it runs.....

Probably $300 to $500

I love projects...how close are you to prior.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

A early 70's merc 9.8 hr. with no tank or hose.
$150 top's.

I sadly am not in the market for a 9.8, but I would definately think the motor would worth more if it was running.

Hasn't run in two years.....that's scary.

I was offering my assistance if you want another persons opinion. I have rebuilt a few motors in my day.

Let me know if you want to bring it by.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

I'm not in the market either but that wouldnt stop me. smile.gif Tank and hose should run under 25 bucks used. If you can show the buyer it runs it's worth alot more. I too have rebuilt many motor's so to work on them isnt a big deal for me. Good Luck on the garage sale.

I was scared about the "not used in two years" thing, too, until I saw the motor. Pulled the cord a couple of revolutions just to make sure it wasn't siezed up and it rolled smooth as silk.

However, that doesn't change the fact that no-one has tried to start it for two years. I agree that it's worth a lot more if we could show the buyer that it runs and runs well. I'm going to tell my brother-in-law that he needs a tank and hose if he wants to get a decent price for it.

I've never seen that type of connection before.....don't have a clue where to start looking for a hose on that old of a motor. Suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your input. I do appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by huskminn (edited 05-16-2002).]

I have an old merc. You push it in and make a quarter turn. Is this what your looking for? In fact I was at walmart today and they had that type. Your best bet would be to buy the fitting and make your own hose. You can buy a plastic tank. I would hold of on selling it at the rumage sale and get the tank and run it.

I will definately take your advice into consideration, altough it is not my decision to make.

I think I know someone who needs to make a trip to Walmart.....

Thanks, SurfacTension, for all the help.

Okay...popular opinion puts the value at somewhere between $150 and $500. Any ideas on the tank and hose?

The motor is currently in St. Louis Park. This isn't the "Items For Sale Forum", but it's going to be in my garage sale this Saturday.

E-mail me at bnpeters@bemis.com if you need to.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

My 9.8 thunderbolt has the same connection.

Walmart has 'em.

If it's not that type....check with Twin city ouboard in Shakopee. They have lots of old motors and could at least tell you where to get what you're looking for.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

A 9.8 HP merc from the 70's was a nice fishing motor and well worth a couple of hundred dollars in workable condition. Here are a couple of things to check before you buy the motor.

Pull both spark plugs , ground them and have someone pull the motor over. If there is spark on both plugs the ignition is ok.

Pull the drain plug on the lower unit and check for oil, then look for water and signs of rust. If water comes out say thank you and leave with your money in your pocket.

If there is a fuel pump or filter, pull it off and check for dirt and gunk. If it has the "old gas" smell you will have to rebuild the carb, which is a good idea anyway.

Give it a general look over to assess it's physical condition and how the previous owner took care of it. this can be a bargaining chip in your favor.

Finally, a new gas tank and hose will cost less than $50.00 and the posts above gave some good sources. In good running tune these are great motors that will troll smoothly and have good power for the 10 horse class. Good luck!!

The hose fittings at Walmart aren't the right ones.......they look like they should work, but they are too large in diameter.

The saga continues on to TC Outboard, I guess. Thanks for everyone's help.