• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley Fire Line

Question

I was curious what some comments on Berkleys Fire line would be? I am a first timer on this line. Have yet to spool it on to the reel yet, because of some mixed feedback from my peers!

10 answers to this question

Fireline works great with spinning reels but terrible on baitcasting reels. It really sucks when you get a bird nest. The line will bury itself and sometimes you will have to disassemble the reel.

Works for me on baitcast reels fine, I use 14/6 on all my trolling rods. Can't stand it on spinning gear though, switched to 8 and 10# powerpro, but the only time I use these spools over mono on spinning tackle is for deep water or heavy current situations.

Regards....Fisky

I like Spiderwire and fireline. It works really well on spin tackle, haven't tried it on a baitcaster, too many horror stories. I was convinced when I was in the boat when my buddy caught a 52" muskie that tailed walked twice and he just cranked her in like he had a sunny on. Craziness is what I said b/c I didn't want to hear him complain about losing that one. I like it b/c it is light and I can cast lighter lures further or skip jigs under docks when bass fishin. Definitely good line.

Powerpro, wont where your guides on your rod. As strong as any of the others. I would suggest to put a drop of super glue on your knots tho. very smooth line and can slip easily.

I have tried almost all superlines out there. Started with Gorrilla Braid, then Spiderwire, then Fireline, and now Whiplash. Of all of them, I do like Whiplash the best. It does not lie flat on the reel as Fireline does, nor does it fray. The 20 and 30lb version is very small in diameter, as is the 65 I have been using so far this season. Toad turned me onto the stuff last year during the FM fishing league and I was very impressed. Give it a try, you wont be dissapointed.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

Superlines are great for rough or sharp terrain underwater. Fishing around submerged stumps or rocky dropoffs that have a high lip.

They seem to work ok on baitcasters, but only if you make sure to spool the line on tightly. Otherwise if you do end up with backlash, your snugged down tight into a bunch off loose line. NIGHTMARE! Spiderwire fusion doesn't really have memory so you can spool it on with a reasonable amount of tension.

I liked the taping the first few turns of line down before continuing to prevent full spool slip. Good idea Hydro!

Fusion has to get my vote here. Landed my biggest fish on 50# line. It had me spooled out twice and had the line caught on a stump in a bout 8' of water. I had to take a few steps into the water (was shorefishing at the time) in get a few turns back on the reel. The know tied to spool held though and my rod was bent in half! The fish was a 65# flathead outta the St.Croix...

One thing about superline; shorten your hookset a little or your going to end up with a pair of lips instead of a fish. The no stretch lines have no give when cranking back on them. If your snagged, most of the time you'll bend the hook out or I've also seen guys (luckily hasn't happend to me yet), bust rods because the line was too **** strong.

Sometimes I like to take a 12" peice of superline and tie it line to line to my mono, and then to my lure if I have had pike bite offs. It reduces the stealth factor, but if you're putting your 3rd or 4th wally diver on because of pike, it comes in handy.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

When you spool it up, put a couple of wraps on the spool, then a layer of tape to stick it in place. If you don't do this the line will slip around the spool.

The biggest thing to get used to is the line has virtually no stretch. If you only have a few feet out you will find yourself bending hooks on the set if you aren't careful. I would say to definitely give it a try. It does work great in some situations, particularly jigging.

Thenks for all the info!! I bought 8# test, for walleye fishing. Sounds like I will use it on my jigging rig! For the rocky points. Thanks again!