• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help Please!

Question

I have a 1996 50 h.p. Johnson 3 cylinder. It is oil injected.

My question is: Is the oil tank suppose to be pressurized?

The reason I ask is, over storage period, the tank builds enough pressure to purge straight oil into the carbs, and then in the spring I have to drain the carbs in order for the motor to run.

Is it a pressurized system? And if so, what would happen if the tank wasn't pressurized (i.e. loose cap)?

thanks in advance,

Jeff (PCG)

17 answers to this question

No I didn't. I treated the gasonline with Sea foam and then ran the motor.

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 05-03-2002).]

I have a 25HP Yamaha, 1994.
It has a rubber cap on the oil tank, non pressurized.
I don't drain the carbs either, just run sea-foam into the gas.
It smokes a little when you start it, other than that it runs good.

The motor stalls, like the ignition was killed, at 2/3 throttle or more.....the first 3 times it started without any hesitation and ran fine....Today it stalled and the SLOW system was activated upon restart.

?????

My brother used to have a '93 40 hp Johnson that would kill the same way. It would be running fine, then it would periodically kill on him when the motor was running pretty much wide open. He had to have the engine totally rebuilt because for some reason, the motor wasn't getting oil. I don't know how your oil reservior is set up. But his had a pressure bulb on it just like the gas tank. I can't remember the reason why the oil wasn't getting through on his. Hopefully this isn't your problem, or it'll be a pretty costly repair.

[This message has been edited by AWH (edited 05-08-2002).]

Just an idea: Is the gas line secure at both ends? Same type of thing happened with my auger this winter and the gas line was not fully secure and was leaking.
Good luck.

A good bud of mine has a 94 60 Johnson, for these exact reasons he disconnected the vro and mixes gas now. I know, a pain with onboard tank, but he allways knows there is oil.

However, now he has a simalar problem, idles fine, but get it up on plane and the thing dies. he talked to a mech and was told either the impeller is shot or the high temp warning doo hicky is shot. he knows the impeller is ok (1 yr old), so hes trying the latter. FYI

Yeah,
Could be the high temp warning sensor is bad....or the impeller, even though I have good water discharge...although when it did it the first 3 times, why didn't the SLOW system kick in? So many questions.

I know it is getting oil at low speeds, because it smokes enough.. I can't vouch for high speeds...although there isn't suppose to be anything that shuts down the motor like that. But who knows...Nothing is fact when dealing with electronics, that's for sure.

PCG

I have an oil injected '94 40hp Johnson. It has the alarm that goes off if the engine isn't recieving oil. I just got this engine with a pontoon boat last year. I thought about getting rid of the inject and mixing in the oil with the gas. Is it common that the oil inject fails? Are there any problems associated with disconnecting the injection system? Thanks

After I bought my boat/engine w/vro and had the motor fail. I researched this quite a bit. I found that for the most part the vro is actually quite reliable, but....If your not always checking for oil comsumption or get lazy on the maintenance, you could be in big trouble. This way i KNOW I am getting oil. Some people though may also forget to mix their oil (this has never happened to anyone right?). Then the disconnect is worthless. I think it is a personal preference. But I can't say I would like anyone to have to go through having to rebuild their engine like I had to, knowing it could have been prevented pretty easily.
Oh, and also I have learned that the latest pumps/injection systems made are more reliable then the first generation. It may be worth upgrading.