• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WAAS- wazzup?

Scoot

Question

Ok, I'm dang sick of the WAAS dump. "It's up and functioning, it's not functioning, oh, it is ready, no it's not." Then there's all the bugaboo about "it greatly reduces interferences, no it doesn't, it is more accurate in some situations, it's more accurate in all situations..." Also, a guy from Scheels told me that most likely WAAS won't ever be finished- they can't get it done before the technology in the handheld units is better than the WAAS system anyway.

I'm sick of it. What's the truth? I don't want basic info.- I know what WAAS is and I know what they claim it will allow handheld units to do. But, what is the truth?
Scoot

3 answers to this question

WAAS was developed by Raytheon and the FAA in order to give civilian airgraft a more accurate GPS system. They had started this development with the understanding that selective availability would still be effect until 2013. But when it was reduced in 1999 that shot that idea. Since it is funded by a government agency (FAA) it could be dropped at any time with budget cuts. It was put in to other GPS units as a way for the designing company to regain some of their investment.
Because of the limited number of satalites for this system. In the midwest you can expect to get a WAAS signal about 20-25% of the time. Average accurace of most GPS without a WAAS signal is about 8m +/- and with it you are looking at 3m. If you can put a marker bouy out and keep you boat within 15' of it then I could see it being a great asset. But for most users it is a marketing point.

Rob

So... will more satellites be put in place or has the furthering of the WAAS system been dropped? Also, you mentioned SA- if the accuracy of a WAAS driven GPS is so much better than one with just SA dropped why don't they proceed and finish WAAS?
What'd I'd like to know is this- will WAAS ever be something that will benefit our GPS units (more than 1/4 of the time) or will it remain a marketing ploy?
Thanks much for the info.
Scoot