Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gear ratio for spinner bait fishing

6 posts in this topic

It really depends if you are planning on burning a spinner bait or letting it drop to deeper water on a jerky retrieve. A 5 to 6+ to 1 is a pretty fast retrieve for a baitcaster reel.

i still like the faster ratio reels (6.3:1). it is much easier to slow your retrieve speed down than having to reel faster with a lower ratio, when you use some thing that fishes faster such as willow leaf,burning a bait, and picking up the slack with a buzzbait. del

Definately go with the 6:3 to 1, it's easier to slow down your retreive for those slow presentations than to have to crank your #ss off for the faster one.

The problem with the faster retrieving reels is you loose power and when you are pulling big blades it can get very tiring very quick. I have Abu C3's (5.3:1) and one C4 (6.3:1),and I find that the C3 works best for burning big blades, and the C4 work awesome for twitch and glide baits when you want to pick up slack as fast as possible.

Matt