• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom Saver with a Jack Plate on

Diago

Question

I need some advise, I just purchased a Ranger 617 with a 150Yamaha on it and a Bob's Jack Plate. Should I put a transom saver on when I am trailoring the boat? it seems like it would not help with the Jack plate on the transom.

Thanks for the Advise! Jim

5 answers to this question

We see so many transom jobs come into our shop that could have been avoided or at least delayed by using a transom saver. You didn't happen to mention if you bought the boat new or used, but if it's used, once that wood in the transom starts to soften, it really weakens the whole back end of the boat. Even on a brand new boat, it's a good idea. All that flexing from bouncing down the highway will still stress and weaken the transom. Naturally, we're more than willing to repair it once the damage is done, but I'd rather see you prevent the damage to begin with.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the reply, the boat I have is new and the transom is all fiberglass. Do you still recomend a saver. If so what kind of saver should I get, one one that attaches to the trailor, or that fits on the mounting plate.

Jim

I would still recommend using one. Even on a new fiberglass boat, we have seen where the wood which is laminated between the fiberglass in the transom has flexed enough to put stress cracks in the 'glass.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of savers. The ones that mount to the trailer reduce the stress on the transom better, but Surface Tension is right. You want to have a very good tie-down system in the back of your boat so it is very snug and solid on the trailer and can't bounce around on it.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com