• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

holland lake?

eyecatcher04

anyone ever fish holland in the winter for trout? i have fished there a couple of times in the spring and done good off the public dock for trout, bass, and northerns. Where do people fish them in the winter? do the fish suspend over the deep hole right under the ice or are they in shallow?

Howdy Eyecatcher-

I live pretty close to this lake, and have heard of people doing pretty well thru the ice for trout. I have not tried it yet, but hope to use some of the tips from FM to give it a try this winter. Ren posted an info packed forum on here that you might have already seen.

I don't believe Holand is on the designated Trout Lakes list for the DNR, so (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) we will be able to fish for them during the normal fishing season and with the two poles allowed. Designated trout lakes only allow one pole and a special season for trout.

I've heard ice flies work well, but not sure what to tip them with. I've also heard that their teeth break line easily, so I'm thinking a heavier leader line is going to be neccessary.

Maybe we'll bump into each other out there and compare what's been working and what's not.

Good luck.

Marc

thats good news that its not a designated trout lake. Maybe ill see you out there some time i'll have a brand new fish trap guide. my girlfriend is buying it for me for christmas, yes she supports my fishing habit. good luck and have a great holiday.

woah settle down there buswac!!!!! i didnt say anything about targeting them until the open season. ethical behavior? i am a responsible sportsman. if this weather keeps up we wont be able to fish until winter trout season opens up anyways.

so what if i did something wrong, its kinda like trying to catch bin laden but getting sadaam instead!!

No problem Eyecatcher04! Doesn't take much to get me going when it comes to targeting fish out of season, bass or trout. It just happens way too much. Have a great time chasing those trout! I will certainly be chasing them myself on a variety of lakes!

Just so everyone knows Holland lake isn't a designated stream trout lake, but as said earlier you still can only target them during the winter stream trout season.

Two lines are allowed on the lake.

As far as trout cutting your line I've never had that happen. People must be mistaking northerns for trout, because trout don't have very big teeth. Even the big trout don't have big teeth.

I would never go heavier then 6lb test for stream trout in lakes. I usally fish with 4lb test, sometimes even as light as 2lb. I've caught a few rainbows around 8-10lbs on 4lb test with no problem. Just make sure your drags set and don't try to stop them if they run.

I also will be fishing Holland this winter and I would like to know if anyone knows the specific date that we can target trout. This will be my first time going for them through the ice, is there any lures or baits that would work good on that lake. I dont need any secret lures just some general ideas.

thanks,

Bucktailsam

I think the season starts on Jan. 15, 2005 and goes until March 15, 2005. You might want to check the regs. to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what they are.

KSW