Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basser

Stripping paint off an Aluminum boat

6 posts in this topic

Can someone give me an idea how to strip off old paint? I am going to repaint and add a casting deck to an old mirrocraft. Also,what type of paint would you spray on, I have an air sprayer. Would you just use automotive paint? I have never done it before so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sand Sand Sand.
I have refurbished many boats and the best way I found to strip them is to sand it off.I use a grinder with a sanding attachment.
I feel you don't need to buy expensive automotive or marine paint.The boats I painted I just used regular old oil based enamel.Remember to etch the aluminum with muriatic acid before painting and the paint will stick forever.

You can use regular paint stripper spray cans.
You'll find it at any auto part store or even at Walmart, in the auto paint section.
1 or 2 cans will do the job, spray it on, wait until it bubbles, then use a hard plastic spatula to remove paint. Very easy.
Beware if you leave boat on trailer, you will have to cover it, or falling paint will remove trailer paint too.

If you want I still have some precut marine plywood for Alumacraft (free to be picked up) and also pinstriping, lettering, paint, etc.
Send me an email at valv@kvesurplus.com, if you can make a trip down here (Faribault area) you'll be happy.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 06-19-2003).]

Thanks guys, Dennis- no offense- but I like Valv's idea off spray it on wipe it off better than sanding smile.gif

Basser, I guarantee it's not quite a "spray on, wipe off" job , but will be easier than sanding. I tried it before and it takes me forever, of course I don't do it as a pro, just a hobby.

Thanks Val, I was also wondering if I even need to strip the paint of. The paint on the boat is in pretty good shape, just ugly color, can I spray over the paint on there now? By the way, I am going to try to get down to see you soon. Thanks for the email reply. Dan