• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power outage

ssaamm

Question

Having some trouble and need some help. I have a garmin 160 fishfinder. It is wired through the same equipment as my radio and the rest of the lights as far as I can tell. When I start my beefy 40hp merc a 'battery warning' light flashes on the depth finder screen. I hit 'enter' and it goes away. Then, about once an hour the power shuts down. Usually this happens when I am speeding up, but sometimes it happens while trolling. The only way to restart it is to unplug the power plug on the back and screw it on again. It then starts up and runs fine until the next time.
It's getting kind of annoying. Could this be a safety feature to avoid surges? bad connection? bad luck? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks and catch some fish!

3 answers to this question

YOU SHOULD CHECK ALL THE CONNECTION FIRST TO INCLUDE THE PLUG ON THE BACK OF UNIT. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO BUILD UP OF ANY KIND ON ALL CONNECTIONS. DISCONNECT ALL CONNECTIONS ONE AT A TIME AND CLEAN THEM AND IF THAT DOES NOT WORK THEN YOU NEED TO CONTACT A REPAIR SHOP. ALWAYS DO THIS BEFORE YOU CONTACT ANY REPAIR SHOP AND IT WILL HOPEFULLY SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY. GOOD LUCK

------------------
JIM PAYNE

For repair your Garmin has to go back to the factory. You can email them and describe your problem. Just go to Garmin.com and you should find the qestion/email section. They may be able to advise you how to correct the problem.

Dan

My Raytheon finder had the same sort of problem last spring. It was a very easy fix. Like Jim said, look at the back of the unit. My power cord coming from the battery to the unit was packed with green corrosion. I just took large needle and scraped it all out. Very easy fix. Hopefully that's your problem.