Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodbuilder

Help with on-board chargers!

14 posts in this topic

Hey all. I currently run 2 separate batteries in my boat. This year I am planning on wiring the 2 in series so I stay at 12v. I want to get an on-board charger but am not sure what would be best. Should I get a single bank (5-10 amp) and connect to the negative post on 1 and the positive post on the other since the batteries are wired together or should I get a dual bank and connect the charger to each battery?

Thanks for ALL the help!

Definitely the dual bank and hook one bank to each battery. Less complications, quicker charging, no problems with the onboard charger shutting off too early if it thinks they're already charged, etc.

Are you trying to get 24v?? That's what you get when you hook two batteries in series. If you want 12v with more reserve you hook them in parallel. If hooked in parallel, you can get away with a single bank charger. If in series, you need a two bank. Dual Pro "Pro series" are designed for charging while batteries are hooked in series. Series is positive of one bat. to neg. of other, parallel is positive to positive negative to negative.

STOP!!!!!!!!

If you're wanting to stay at 12V,

They need to be in PARALLEL!

+ from Batt 1 to + of Batt 2 then to + on trolling motor or whatever you're running.

similarly, - from batt 1 to - of batt 2 to device.

Series conection adds the voltage at constant current, parrallel adds the current at constant voltage.

When operating batteries in parallel, it doesn't matter whether you use a single charger the puts out 10 amps, or a dual bank charger that puts out 5 per bank....

and a single bank charger will be cheaper.

Unless you wire in a switch that isolates each battery during charging (and you have to remember to use the switch!!!), there are no benefits to using a dual bank charger.

Hope this makes sense to you.

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 04-24-2003).]

Hey Guys, thanks for the input. I guess I had my terminology wrong. I plan on staying at 12 volts (+ to +/- to -). I am happy to hear that I can go with a 1 bank charger...leaves extra $$ for tackle!

Buy the heaviest wire you can for the connection between batteries, the thicker it is the less resistance. Hook your charger on the battery that is at the end of the circut and your trolling motor to the other. Think of this circut as two five gallon buckets with a hose connecting them at the bottom, as you fill one of the buckets the other will fill at the same time until they are full.

Thanks Chris, appreciate the help. Got another one for ya. Since my last post, I have done some searching. I cannot find a 1 bank-10 amp charger. All the 1 banks are 5 or 6 amps!..Any ideas? I would like something that'll totally recharge 2 totally dead batteries overnight.

Rick,

That is a great idea but all the lakes I fish are within 5 minutes of my house (charging time is .5-2 hrs.)...ya gotta love minnesota!

Six amps should do that just fine, a 5 amp charger takes ten hours to fully recharge a battery. Six amps should do it in eight hours, so even if you don't get it plugged in until ten they should be good to go by six. Also running two batteries in parallel, you would have to be running that motor on %50 or more all day to run them down that far. So even with the two batteries they shouldn't take more than twelve hours.

Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 04-24-2003).]

Dual Pro has a ten amp/two bank charger for $99, if you're worried about charge time. Five amps per bank.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 04-24-2003).]

I run three batteries, Two in parallel for 12v and the starting/ acc battery. I run a 3 bank charger, 10a, 10a, and 3amp to the starting battery. My brother-in-law went with a 5-5-5 and had to go with a bigger one. The reason is if you ever go on a weeklong fishing trip and use your trolling mtr most of the time, we didn't have enough recovery time and lost some power each day. Granted, on our fishing trip we fish from 5am-10pm with a three hour break in the middle for lunch, nap, ect.. It all depends on how much fishing at one time you do and how fast you need your batteries back up to full charge.

Thats just it, when its muskie season, I am on the water a minimum of 14 hours. I found that my 2 batteries usually last 16 hours when fully charged. So by the end of the day, my batteries are toast. I am also going to try some multi-day toournaments this summer so I'll need a full charge every morning. But then again, maybe I am going overboard. A 2 bank 5/5 will probably suffice. Thanks for the help guys!

YOU CAN STOP ALL THIS STUFF ABOUT ON BOARD CHARGERS IF YOU WOULD TALK WITH THE ADMINS OF THIS SITE. THEY ARE OFFERING YOU A GREAT DEAL ON A PRODUCT THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF ALL THOSE QUESTIONS. I AM THE PRESIDENT AND INVENTOR OF THE STAYNCHARGE SYSTEM THAT RICK AND FISHING MN IS OFFERING YOU GUYS. IF YOU LIVE 5 OR TEN MINUTES FROM THE LAKE AND HOOK MY SYSTEMS UP AS SOON AS YOU GET YOUR BOAT ON YOUR TRAILER AND LEAVE YOUR TRUCK RUNNING, BY TIME YOU GET THE BOAT TIED DOWN AND DRIVE HOME YOU ARE GOING TO GET A GOOD 20 TO 30 MINUTES OF CHARGE TIME AND WHEN YOU START YOUR TRUCK UP TO GO BACK FISHING YOUR GOING TO GET ANOTHER 20 OR 30 MINUTES CHARGING AND THAT IS GOING TO BE PLENTY OF CHARGE TIME TO KEEP YOUR TROLLING BATTERIES FULL. I GUARANTEE IT. SO TALK TO THE GUYS WHO KNOW. FISHING MN IS THE ONLY SITE THAT CAN OFFER YOU THE DEALS THEY HAVE. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK. JIM PAYNE

------------------
JIM PAYNE