• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul - Chamberlain Narrows

Can someone comment about Lac Seul? We're thinking about going to Lac Seul Outposts located in Chamberlain Narrows. I'm looking for really great walleye water that I can bring my boat to.

I talked to a couple working the booth at the sportsman show. They said 80 walleyes in a day would be slow. In a fly in lake maybe, but come on! Sometimes I think the truth can get streched more than your line. In any case, I'm reasonably sure Lac Seul is world class. Any advise would be appreciated.

I have been up there 2 times now and stayed at that resort. It was a blast....Great fishing right off of the dock! Caught a 9 1/2 lb walleye off of it to! Still the biggest eye for me. We never had all that great of numbers there compared to fly ins but the size is untouchable. We brought our boat both years and had no troubles but watch out for rocks and dead heads!

He is right, on a good day four people can catch a couple hundred in a day, depending on the time of year. Ask about the muskie fishing...I have seen some brutes in the water close to 60 inches.

CN is a great place to fish. I've been there several times and have always had excellent fishing. I personally have never caught 100 a day, but we gennerally get moving after we've caught a few in a spot. Eyes is right about the dock fishing. We pounded the W's off the dock the last time I was up there.

Be prepared to accept some shortcomings in the resort. I've found CN not to be the cleanest place to stay and sometimes finding enough silverware to eat with is a challenge. But, overall I'd rate it OK. The staff will be very helpful pointing you in the direction of the fish.

Be sure to schedule a day for crankin and throwing spoons. Northern fishing can be very rewarding.

Lac Suel - best walleye fishing I've ever had. 80 eye's per day? Well lets say of the 2 times we were there the slow trip averaged 80 eye's per day.
The first time there we averaged 100 eyes per day between two of us. Our best day boated 140+ - no lies. The second trip yeilded an average of 75 eyes per day for 3 of us.
The year that was slower yeilded no trophy's that we were looking for - our standard was 30" or over to keep as a trophy. To clarify that all three in our boat caught 2 walleye's each over 27". Our big fish for the trip in our boat was 27, 27.5, 27.5, 28, 28.5, 29.5. So the big ones are there and the numbers are there. All depends upon the weather as always.
Oh yeah - that first year we caught the numbers - our big fish included a 27" by me and my partner as well as a 28 by my partner and a 29" myself.
We boated in every day from an access just past Souix Lookout and went in past Loon Rapids and nearly up to Chamberlain. Rumor has it the best fishing is up by Chamberlain and I can also confirm one 50+" muskie caught out of that area in the fall - sowbelly..
Have fun and bring plenty of bait and plenty of tackle. Jigs always work but our best secret included shallow water and bottom bouncers....

I have been going to Lac Seul for 8 years. We fish south of CN near the town of Hudson. It's been fantastic. Always have good fishing. Never have broke the 27.5" mark, but so many 22-25" walleye I can't count them all. I do know several people who have visited CN and done well, but the size they reported were considerably smaller than what we catch near Hudson. But, sounds like others have done great at CN, so I'm sure they are there. I do know it's cheaper and closer to fish at Hudson. I have been very happy with the cabins and service.

snagger, where by Hudson do you stay?
The group I was going to Lacs Seul with , all worked at Blandins paper mill.Now after the big layoff, no one wanted to go exept for a couple of the guy's with extra cash to spend.We stayed at the Muhkwa Lodge near the entrance to Vaughn Lake.We stop at Hudson and buy all our beer and bottles at the little liqure store across from their small food store.
Now that the big group has disbanded (all 12 guy's) my cousin and I are looking for a public access or a resonable prised resort to stay at ,close enough to the Muhkwa Lodge area that we can boat up to the area we fished at before.This would have been my 5th year, and each year we averaged 75 fish a day depending on the weather.Got caught out in Vaughn lake after the wind picked up last year, we barely made it back around the horn with out taking a wave over the bow.
Let me know if you have seen a public landing around Hudson or a fair priced resort, either tent camp or cabins are fine.
Thanks, Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 04-13-2003).]

Snager, I can't find Chamberland Narrows on my maps.What are the grid coradanates or the nearest large body of water?The Mahkwa lodge is right across from White Pine Island in Vaughan Bay.Eagle Island is to the North West about a mile or two.Is the narrows by Bray Lake or up to th North by Bishop's rock.Coordance for White Pine Isl. are N50deg.15min.70sec. , W92deg.,15min.,49sec..Provided I am reading my map right.
Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 04-20-2003).]

GEO Lac Seul is great, been to chamberlan narrows through ojibway outfitters 4 years now. great vip cabins, there is seriously a walleye for every minnow you have in the boat. it's like any other fishery though, move till you get into the bigger fish, and hit it in the fall, thats going to equal trophy fish

Benny,
This will be my 18th year at Mahkwa. Chamberlain Narrows is way up to the Northeast. Past Pine Point. I have been up in that neck of the woods and it is no better or worse than other parts of the lake (although I havent fished the Ear Falls area). Except for muskies. Very few muskies anywhere other than the Chamberlain Narrows area that I am aware of. A fantastic fishery is Lac Seul, but the dead fish rule kinda sucks.

Codydawg, what time of the year do you usually stay there?We are or were usualy up there in the middle of August.
I have been as far North as Paul's Light, we fish a rock pile up there and also Bishops rock.The shoreling along Bananatine point is hot when the wind is blowing into it.Not much for snags there until you get into 8 foot or less.
I have been as far East as Pine Island and pine light.Some of our group went way East last year but as you said it seems to be as good all over that area.
Quit the road to get from Hudson to Archies landing , I think it takes us an hour or more to travel only 20 miles.My boat guides always work loose after that road.
One of our guy's is an avid Muski person, he tried several years to catch one in that area.He gave up after a trip to the Souix Lookout Hospital to get a muski hook out of his thumb.He did raise a few and caught one in the 45 in. range.
I have to agree with the dead fish rule, but that is why we get some great fishing there.We eat fish all but one night,that is the last night we are there so we keep what ever we want to bring back that night.

Benny

Just wondering why ya’ll don’t like the dead rule. I have a cabin near Sioux Lookout and the way the Ministry of Natural Resource runs the fisheries in that area is second to none. I love their rules and regulations: no drinking in the boat, slot limit that’s reasonable, CO that are present . . . get check at least once a year, a lower daily limit with the conservation option and the dead rule. Over all the resource is the first concern and second is the fisherman. I’ve been as far as Wahpisi (sp) Bay but have not fished much in Lac Seul.

Why don't I like the dead fish rule? I hate having a fish that I am going to eat lay dead in a livewell for hours before I can clean it. So what happens? You have to wait and hopefully catch them right before you come in, but sometimes that doesnt work as it is still called "fishing" and not "catching". We like to start out in the morning and catch shore lunch then find the pike. The good fishing is NOT a result of the dead fish rule. Remember, I have fished this area 17 years and the dead fish has been around about 4 or 5, something like that. We keep detailed records and the last 4 or 5 are not anywhere near the best. I have never seen or heard of anyone sorting. I have however, seen on 5 different occasions, walleyes floating near camp with their throats cut since the dead fish rule. People dont want to eat old, bloated fish so they toss them overboard. It makes me sick to think someone would do that, but I have seen it with my own eyes. Nowhere else I have ever fished has there been a dead fish rule and it works just fine in other places. So why does this fantastic fishery need a dead fish rule? It boggles my mind. I personally think it probably hurts the fishery more than it helps it, but neither method is enough to put a dent in the numbers. I dont have problems with any other rule, but my group of 5 fathers/sons hates it and everyone at the resort I have talked to thinks it is dumb as well. Why do you need to sort on Lac Seul? It is not a widespread activity. Do the math, if 1 in 50 anglers sorts (probably less) and they kill another 1 or 2 fish per year, it has no bearing at all on that lake. Not even a drop in the bucket and I bet those numbers are way high. Plus you have to subtract the dead fish I described that people pitch because they dont want to eat them, if they were alive, some of them would have survived.

In fact, there is a good chance this will be our last year, primarily because of that rule. We have never broken any of the laws and don't intend to, but playing by the rules decreases our enjoyment enough that we are looking into other options. Time will tell. We are not contemplating going somewhere else to make a statement, rather, we just don't like the reg and will choose to go somewhere else.

The reason I dis like the dead fish rule is this, according to the rule we are supose to stop fishing as soon as we catch 4 legal fish, that are sopose to be killed as soon as they are measured.Your not allowed to catch and release at all except if the fish is not of legal size.The rule book clearly states that all legal fish must be kept, so that means your done for the day after the first hour of fishing up there.
I have no problem with killing the fish, as we all run with coolers for the fish, and we dress them out placing the intrailes in a baggie to throw away at the lodge.
But if a P.P watches you toss back a legal fish they can ticket you for it.
Benny

I’ve been fishing the area for 30 years, my father has been fishing the area for 50 years, as long as my camps been in the family. During that time the quality of fishing has remained essentially the same despite increases on a resource not well equipped to handle intense fishing pressure. It’s a misnomer to think that these oligotrophic lakes in the Sioux Lookout area can handle great fishing pressure. So what’s the ministry to do? Fishery biologist establish rules and regulations that easy the pressure. Don’t like ‘em, they are not going to apologize, guaranteed. I love the rules, in my opinion it’s reduced the fishing pressure over the past couple years. I typically get a conservation license, eat fish for almost every meal and bring back zero fish, with apologies to the wife. Old, bloated fish, from what I remember last year they seemed flakey, fresh and delicious.

The fishery up there is exelent, and I think that Minnesota should look at the way the minestry handles it.Then make changes here to do the same thing.Look at Mille Lacs and Winni with the slots there the fishing quality has sky rocketed.Sure some of it is do to natural reproduction and other factors, but I still think the slot limits have made the most difference.
I only said I dis like the rule to kill the fish, not that I won't abide by it or that I kill them and let them float.
I have saw a few floaters in the last few years, most looked like they were taken from deep water to fast and just couldn't handle the stress.I have also saw a few that were dilibertly cut open, to bad those people don't get caught!!
As for the conservation license, several of our group opt for it and don't return with any fish either.For me that is my one trip into great walleye waters each year, so I like to keep at least 3 eyes to bring back.I also suplement the catch with great tasting pike from the cold water up there.
My Father doesn't get around to fish much so I drop off a few for him on the way through Grand Rapids.
Benny

We have been going for 10 years and don't mind the dead fish rule a bit. Just line your livewell with styrofoam and throw in the ice. Keeps your fish and lunch fresh all day.

I've been staying at Chamberlain Narrows with Ken & Brenda from Ojibway Outfitters for 12 straight years. Always head up on opening weekend. 80 fish a day is not uncommon and the previous reports about fishing from the dock are very true. I've found on the years that the quantity was fantastic, the quality was less. But on the years were the quantity was less, the quality was fantastic. Had one year were we had a hard time finding fish for shore lunch because they were all too big. We've caught up to 11 lb walleyes and 28lb northerns.

The camp has really been fixed up over the last couple years and I highly recommend getting a VIP cabin with indoor toilet and shower. Actually, I think that all but a couple cabins are now VIP. I know there are less expensive trips available, but with fishing as great as it is, it is well worth it.

I'll be heading up next Thursday evening(5/15) and staying through Tuesday 5/20. I'll leave an fishing report when I return.

The Spook

Just returned from Chamberlain Narrows. As always, a fantastic trip. The weather was a little tough but we managed.

The walleye bite was fantastic. Caught between 80-120 per day per guy. Biggest being 29 3/4". Had 4 others over 29", 2 over 28", 3 over 27" and numerous 24",25", and 26".

Used a jig tipped with a minnow or a jig with plastic tipped with a minnow. You don't even need whole minnows. We were cutting them in half and the bigger ones in quarters.

On Friday, while fishing northerns, landed a 53" muskie on a Rapala. Great fight!!!

I highly recommend this place and I've already made my reservations for next year.

The Spook

Spook, where were you, or where do you typically fish pike up there? I've been a guest of Ken and Brenda's for about 8 years running now. usually go later in the summer though. The weedbeds back in China/India Bay channels can be awesome, but I'd love some new terrain. Anything around the Wapezi Bay area that lights up? Usually in August the fish wil frequent the same areas as in the spring so that's why I'm asking.
Now I'm really craving time on Lac Seul. It is definately addicting smile.gif. The JEALOUS ONE.

[This message has been edited by Eyewitness (edited 05-28-2003).]

Eyewitness -

Got the muskie up near Tom's Landing. We were working the channel just south from Tom's back toward the Chamberlain Narrows. We typically fish mostly walleyes. We fish near the camp, the turn going to Tom's, the channel going up to Tom's, Birch Narrows, Bear Narrows, and Scaler Lake Rapids. Unfortunately, with the water being so low, we did not make it down to Scaler for the first time since staying at the camp.

Some of the guys in our party also go up in August and they say that although the fishing is still fantastic, the walleye seem to run a little smaller than in the spring.

Good luck on your trip and leave a report.

The Spook