• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best $30 spinning reel ?

Polar Bear

Question

Need to replace the reel on my cheap canoeing rod. I want to stay around 30 bucks because of the potential of loss or damage during portages. It will be loaded with 6 pound Trilene XL. What you say ?

[This message has been edited by Polar Bear (edited 03-31-2003).]

9 answers to this question

For $35 you can get one of the new Mitchell 300's. There is a rebate of $5 available to get you at $30. Not too bad of a reel for the money. Spare spool also.
Dino

My favorite walleye rod and reel has a Shimano LX 2000 which I believe you can get for $20 or $25. It matches perfect with 6 lb test. The reel is solid with a great drag system. Mine is several years old and works the same as the day I got it. I've used the G-loomis rods and $100 reels etc...

But I wouldn't ever spend that money when I can get a great reel for under $30.

Local chain retailer has Spidercast SCA10's on sale for $20.00 - 5 bearing. No spare spool, though. They are $20.00 to order, or get a 2nd reel for $20.00.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Go to Fisherman's Facotry Outlet and the have a number of Abu Garcia for under $30 and some mitchells they also have combos and a lot more. Backwater Eddy turned me onto this place and the have a great motto "Fish don't care how much it costs". With that said I must say that I absolutly love Shimano reels I have them ranging from $19-$120 and I love them and have had not trouble with any of them and some are getting pretty old. Check out that site thought good stuff for the money. ffo-tackle.com/

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

I've always had good luck w/ the Pro-Am series by Shakespeare on my icefishing poles and intend to change them over to my summer poles this year. Also they have really good customer support. I lost a few pieces when removing the bale, they sent out a new set.