• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think I am the most excited one for youth water fowl day. I got the calls out, shells, gun, snacks, drinks for us all water and Gatorade, camo out ready for the morning.  Finn was getting excited when took the gun out that made me smile. My nephew was telling his friends about going duck hunting. Pictures will follow

I had a few youth hunting across the lake from me this morning. Not sure how they did but I heard a couple shots before I left. 

I was disappointed when I couldn't take my goose out this morning, but that's part of life. 

I also am amongst the few who embraces youth waterfowl day. I think it's good for them to get out and have a day just for them. It helps build some excitement for the rest of the season when the weather sucks and it's cold and raining. 

Watching his eyes bug out when the first teal buzzed the pond or the first wood ducks dropped in over his head. 

When we got home cleaned the duck, the dog, and ourselves my nephew got on his phone callinghisbuddies bragging he was shooting 12gauge and it hardly kicks. I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

last night he asked if we could go again this morning and had to tell him no it is a one day hunt. The sadness that came over his face is the same one I get when duck season closes or ice fishing comes to an end.

I know I'll never forget my first duck hunt on youth day. I mighta shared this before but I'll share it again. Everyone loves a good duck story :)

12 years old. The old man finds a fresh beaver pond chock full of woodies and mallards. Hundreds, maybe over a thousand birds. Tiny little pond, maybe a couple acres at most. We sneak up on it before daylight and I can hear the woodies squealing and mallards quacking all the way from the pickup. We sit there and listen for a good 20 minutes as the sun comes up and my heart is racing. I mean it's pounding hard, about to beat out of my chest. I have the ol' 20 gauge Wingmaster ready to rock. Birds start getting off the roost and flying past us. Now, my dad always stressed to me not to flock shoot. Pick out one bird and kill it.  Always solid advise, right? It's all happening so fast, birds are zinging through the timber, left-to-right, right-to-left, straight at me, I can't focus on one. He finally says in that typical Da Range accent "what'r ya doin! Start chootin!!" So I just shoulder the 20 and start pulling the trigger, throwing steel in the air. The whole pond erupts and there's birds EVERYWHERE!! My inexperienced brain can't handle it. I'm reloading & shooting as fast as I can. The dust settles, not a feather was knocked loose and my dad is rolling on the ground, laughing so hard he can barely breathe. You've all heard of buck fever, well, this was duck fever at its worst!!! We finished out the day jump shooting a rice stream and I knocked my first birds, a woody and a mallard, but I'll never forget that morning. I've been addicted ever since. Anyways, that's why I love youth day and don't really care if it scares a few birds out of the area. It's the future of our sport and I hope it's always a thing. Yall don't even know what you're missing if you aren't taking a kid out hunting. It'll be the highlight of your year

Edited by fishuhalik