• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zone 259

Neutz68

I was in the northern part of 259 around Lake George and it was pretty slow.  A good amount of shooting opening morning and then at about 8:30 it really slowed down and was pretty quiet the rest of the weekend through Monday night.

The public land we hunt has a lot of logging going on which isn't helping.  They logged one section right before last years opener that really messed up our plans and this year they were logging just to our east. I thought they might take a break during the season but they were out there bright and early Monday morning cutting more trees.

Between my buddy and myself we only saw 1 spike buck for 3 days of hunting.  We say a lot of deer moving really early and really late in the day well outside of shooting hours but they were all small immature deer.  Biggest deer we saw all weekend was a 4 point buck at about 5am as we left the house to head to the woods.

We might have to relocate our hunting area if the logging continues.  The logging forced a lot of hunters out already and those of us that are left are getting pushed into smaller and smaller areas.  Overall there were a lot less hunters in the area this year but all were right around us.

I was in the Akeley area. Saw a good amount of deer, but no big bucks. Hunted Sat-Mon morning. Saw about 10+ does and fawns. I passed on two small bucks the first day and my partner couldn't get a clear shot on the spike he saw.  Not alot of scrapes around, just small ones. I thought there was quite a bit of shooting the first two days. A lot compared to last year.  

We head west in to the forest about 2 miles south of Hwy 200 off of Hwy 64.. Been hunting this same area for about 10 years.  There has been a decline every year but it seems like this year we are seeing more sign. Out of 9 of us in this area 2 6 pointers were killed..  An area about 1.5 mile from our camp is being logged this year so we have lost a couple stands. Only a couple of us heading up this weekend and we are hoping things ramp up.  Good luck to everyone!

We head west in to the forest about 2 miles south of Hwy 200 off of Hwy 64.. Been hunting this same area for about 10 years.  There has been a decline every year but it seems like this year we are seeing more sign. Out of 9 of us in this area 2 6 pointers were killed..  An area about 1.5 mile from our camp is being logged this year so we have lost a couple stands. Only a couple of us heading up this weekend and we are hoping things ramp up.  Good luck to everyone!

Sounds like I was hunting about 5 miles directly west of you.  We've been in that area for the last 5 years and its been hit or miss.  We always have a small group with at most 3 people but usually just 2 of us so we don't get to cover a lot of ground.  It seems we get 1 deer every other year but nothing since the zone has gone to lottery.

We also haven't seen any bucks with decent racks.  Between what we've seen ourselves and what we see hanging at other camps in the area is also small racks.  I think the biggest I've seen in the last 4-5 years was a small 6 pointer.  Body size of the deer was ok but the racks leave alot to be desired. Is that what you guys see in your area as well or are you seeing more mature bucks from time to time?

nofishfisherman,

That is just about the same as we usually see. The biggest for me out of there has been a decent 8 and a few 6's and a spike.. We have had our kids hunting with us a few years so a few does have been added in.  Sounds like we are taking off tomorrow after work so we can hunt Friday, Sat and until noon on Sun if needed...  Are you heading up this weekend??

No, it looks like I'm probably done for the season.  I've got a pregnant wife and a 2 year old at home so its not as easy to get away this year.  With the numbers still down and hunting prospects not great its not worth the hardship it creates at home.  Besides giving up a weekend of hunting now to stay home with the family gives me some leverage next time I want to do an extra weekend of rifle or another weekend of bow hunting in future years when prospects look more promising. 

we hunt in thorpe township, 0 for 3 this year, we saw 6 does on saturday morning, then nothing sunday or monday. We are not gong back this weekend unfortunately. decent amount of shooting saturday, not much sunday, a few more monday it seemed like. 

we had our best year both in harvest and numbers of deer seen in years and years.  I blew it on a buck that would filled all our tags for the frist time ever, which is over 30 years.  Instead of shooting him I waited until he turned...he did if you call turn tail and run turning.

We hunt swamps and woods so seeing deer generally means 70 yards or less.