• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stick in Mud's female companion was at bachelorette festivities all weekend, so there was a lot of time for walking in the woods.  I covered ground all over the center of the state, and in between catching a few walleyes and bass I was able to find a ton of mushrooms.  

I like looking for the mushrooms that are actually easy to see...no stopping at every good-looking tree to scan the ground for tiny camouflaged mushrooms.  The oysters are plentiful now; my only problem was finding those that weren't already past expiration.  I probably ended up bringing home 10-15 pounds, enough to help me make it through the winter after the truly delicious mushrooms are all gone from the freezer. :) I'm also finding a lot of chicken of the woods out there, though it, too, was often past prime and so was left to its colorful forest functions.  

Most surprising was the number of morels I found....though they were also past prime and no longer edible.  I found quite a few spots with two to ten of them, but this morning I found a huge patch--I counted something like 55 of them--and almost all of them were gigantic.   They sure are much, much easier to see when they're 10'' high compared to when they're little grays. It's a bit frustrating to miss so many, but at least I have a few more spots for next year. 

Oh yes, and the mosquitoes are finally out with a vengeance.  :) 

Yeah........they are out in painful numbers.  Just been "driving" through my hunting property in the search of Oysters, as walking is for chumps......sadly the fallen trees have been cutting my hunting  down :)

Edited by JP Z

Sounds like a fun weekend to me.  Mine was filled with yard work and family functions, though I found enough time for a limit of walleyes on Saturday morning.

My shrooming opportunities will be limited this summer.  I'm probably going to wait until the chanterelles are out before I spend too much time in the woods.  The future Mrs NoWiser's "to do" list before the upcoming wedding keeps growing while her patience for my nonsense is shrinking (almost as fast as my checking account.)  When the woods turns gold, though, I'll be back at it.  I do need to find enough oysters to try JPZ's recipe, though. 

Sounds like a fun weekend to me.  Mine was filled with yard work and family functions, though I found enough time for a limit of walleyes on Saturday morning.

My shrooming opportunities will be limited this summer.  I'm probably going to wait until the chanterelles are out before I spend too much time in the woods.  The future Mrs NoWiser's "to do" list before the upcoming wedding keeps growing while her patience for my nonsense is shrinking (almost as fast as my checking account.)  When the woods turns gold, though, I'll be back at it.  I do need to find enough oysters to try JPZ's recipe, though. 

​I understand....had to come out of the woods early this afternoon to research chair rentals and pay the deposit on reserving a local park for the rehearsal dinner.  

(I can hear Pushbutton laughing in the background.... :) )