• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stump removal/Deer plot, and land improvements

I have the summer and spring planting done on the food plots. I still have a section of a logging road I plan on putting some winter wheat in during September. 

When I got up there this past weekend, I had to do a little dragging to soften the soil up, and some spot spraying to knock out a few weeds that grew back on my main plot, then I just spread the seed for the brassica blend which I planted in the front 3/4 of the  plot, then the back 1/4 got a kale, and clover mix, then I just dragged it with the drag with the tines folded back to cover the seed with soil. At this point it started raining. Great timing for the seed, not so much for the gly I just sprayed. 

Then onto my sons plot, this was just going to fill a logging road, that I was going to widen as much as possible, but I had enough seed to cover a good half acre, so we decided to make a new food plot. The seed we had was for a shaded area, so I wasn't overly concerned with tree cover, so I spent the time cutting down the smaller trees, and I hinge cut all maple, and poplar trees and dropped them to the outside of the food plot. The bigger maple and poplar trees in the middle of the plot were left for now, but they will be dropped and cut up on my next trip up. I am not planning on removing the stumps from this food plot, only cutting the non oak trees within it, and leaving the stumps of the other trees to grow shoots and the deer can feed off of them as well. Any how after hinging the outer edge trees, we weed whacked the waste high ferns out of it, dragged it, then raked up the excess green clutter to expose the soil. At this time it stopped raining, so I sprayed the entire plot with gly. I then spread the seed, kale and clover mix in here and laid the tines down on the drag, and lightly covered the seed. I still had enough brassica seed to do about a 1/8 of an acre, so I spread that on the logging road that I was originally going to plant. It only covered about 50 yards of the logging road. So I plan on planting winter wheat on the remaining length of the road. It was a hard days work, but we got out of there with one full days work. It got some rain last night to help it along. 

Here is my sons new plot before I put the seed down and planted. You can see the poplar trees in the middle that will be removed in a couple weeks. image.thumb.jpg.866be96ac9ac73291a8bf10a

Here is the picture of the logging road with some winter wheat that was planted this spring, the deer have been hitting it hard, and the bear. So right on the other side of the green winter wheat, I planted the 50 yards of brassica, and I will plant more winter wheat this fall on more of the logging road, about another 100 yards. My sons new food plot is just to the left of this picture, and his deer stand is just behind the picture 20 yards. On my next trip up, I will be putting down more fertilizer, and taking out those trees in the middle of his plot. Oops, sideways pictures, I will try to fix them. It is looking to be a nice deer haven come fall and winter. image.thumb.jpg.fb02e0801473eb47332511b3

While we were raking up the greens, 2 baby fawns came in and started eating the winter wheat, but moma wasnt seen. My son tried to snap a picture of them, but they took off when he got his phone out of his pocket.

I had my camera adjuster back with her sidekicks again. I need to get a lock box that they can't chew through. Maybe I can call the DNR and tell them I have vandalism to my cameras, and I have pictures of the perpetrators, and tell them I want to press charges :)

image.jpg

I havent been up since I planted, but I thought I would update a few things. My hunting land got several inches of heavy rain yesterday. Neither of the plots are on a steep grade, but my sons new plot is at a gradual grade, and with it being mostly in a shady area, I dont know the seed had a chance to germinate, and have roots dig in to hold it from washing away. I guess the fact it does have a canopy of trees, may have prevented it from being washed away. I hope. As for my main plot, it is wide open, and on level ground, but with only a week to germinate, and dig in, I am afraid I will have pools of seed. I was planning on going up soon and putting down the nitrogen to give it a kick start into summer, but I may have to wait and see how the seed took off first, because I may have to plant some new seed.

Last year one of my Covert deer cameras were having problems, so I retired it, but I didnt toss it in the garbage. Then this spring, I lost another to a bear, so I decided I would call Covert and see if they can repair my camera that was not working right last fall. They told me they had an exchange program going for the 2013 models, where I can send in the camera, and $150 and get the new 2015 Code Black camera. Well I did get that in the mail yesterday, and it will be nice to have pictures sent back to me again by text message, then I can see how the food plots are doing, without having to drive 200+ miles. They did say that they will not exchange cameras eaten by bears, so I was on my own with that one.

I have plans to go up this weekend and throw down the nitrogen on my big plot, and add some 40-0-40 to my sons new plot to get things rolling. My one concern is I may have gotten them in the ground a month early, but I wanted to get something growing before the weeds over took every thing. I guess I would like to have something growing, then a bare black field. If everything matures before fall, I will just toss out some winter wheat, and oats on it, and mow it all down. The brassicas are 100 maturity, which would bring me to the middle of September, which is average frost for the area. 

Other then fertilizing, I plan on going up and having some fun and hitting the ATV trails in Wisconsin. We have an awesome trail system pretty close to my land, and I havent spent much time having fun and relaxing. So this will be my relaxing trip.

Being Covert was nice enough to exchange my camera for a new one for $150, I figured I would add another camera to my supply, so now I have 2 new Black op cameras, to replace the 2 bad ones. Covert being nice enough to exchange the one, and with the bear taking care of the other one, I needed to replace it anyhow. Now I can watch over the plots from home, and see how they are doing.

My last trip up there my apple trees that I planted were looking a little sick, the leaves looked kinda curled up, like they were lacking water, but I have watered them, and it has been raining pretty consistently up there for the past couple months. I was told not to fertilize them, because they want the roots to dig in for the nutrients, rather then giving the nutrients to the roots, at least for the first year. I may just toss a little to a few, and see how they turn out. 

This past weekend was a mixture of work, play, relaxation, and some good ole redneck fun. We started off with some relaxation, hung out with the misses, wined and dined her on Friday, then relaxed and enjoyed a few beverages. Saturday morning we went to my brothers, and went 4wheeling, we spent the day on the trails, and all went good until we got to the last mud hole before we went home, then I decided to play. I got buried. Other then a little pride of having my brother drive around me, then hook up to me and pull me out, and a half hour of taking the plastic off to find the spark plug to pull it out and dry it out a bit, then just put it all back together and back on the trail, and back to my brothers for dinner, and some ole fashioned redneck fun.  Fireworks, and big fire crackers, and blowing stuff up! Then back to the cabin Saturday night for some sleep.

Sunday morning was time to work. I had to fertilize, and clean up a little of the food plots, I cant get the ferns to stop growing, and over taking the field. My front plot with the brassicas was looking pretty good. My sons plot was looking pretty weak. Just patches of clover coming in. I put down the fertilizer, and I am hoping for it to pop, but I think I will be replanting it all over this fall with oats and ww. My Covert cameras wouldnt send pictures while I was up there, and I tried to get help over the phone to get them to work from ATT, but no luck. I had to bring them back home and get them figured out, then bring them back up on my next trip.

image.thumb.jpg.b6ddc4d6f79716124863d25fimage.thumb.jpg.67b95b397ef4a0f5526dc94aimage.thumb.jpg.62c1b4cae299cf96bc788241image.thumb.jpg.b83841df2f3aaf2420f5f60aimage.thumb.jpg.01653b19c38f712bbe8c8f72These are pictures from my plot. Other then the ferns popping up again, it came in pretty good I think. I put the fertilizer down, and it should take off pretty good from here. I weed sacked the ferns, and hoping that will shut them down as the summer temps kick in and shut them down for the year. 

Here is my sons plot, not looking good at all, but I never got lime down on this section, and it is shaded more. But I figured the mix I put there was made for shaded areas, it would have been better. 

image.thumb.jpg.f38a1ee8cec904831daf1b76image.thumb.jpg.fac83142d1ad6db667c1addbimage.thumb.jpg.dc7aa5952b8d2d7ea5097151

My son went up last weekend with a few of his friends to have some fun. They went to a rodeo, and hung out on the lake jet skiing. He took a couple pictures, it looked like his new food plot hasn't taken off at all after the fertilizer treatment, but my plot went from about 2-3" to 6" in a weeks time with fertilizer. I am sure the rain every other day is helping a quite a bit as well. He said the ferns have also taken off again. image.thumb.jpg.a580bfff1e8f8f9acde0c9da

As for my sons plot, I will probably drag it again in the middle of August and put a mix of cereal grain in it for a fall attractant. That will give it a month to take off, befor I give up on it. The next time I go up I will have to open the canopy up more, and get them poplar trees cleared out. I am not sure what the exact cause of the lack of growth is, whether it be the lack of sun, not having lime down on it, or the lack of soil seed  contact, or all of the above, but I plan on improving it a bit before I replant next month. Oh the fun of making new deer plots!  Honestly, it has been more fun then I would have ever thought, and to know I will be helping the deer herd  out some as well, makes it worth it. 

I spent the weekend working on the land again. I cleared out about 20 poplar trees from my sons food plot, and I spread lime on the soil. I bought a new Brush Grubber to remove smaller(4 inch or less) tree stumps, and it works surprisingly well! I plan on dragging and re planting my sons plot, the clover I planted in there a month a go, just didnt take off. There is small patches of clover that is growing, but the rest never came up, whether that be from the lack of sun on it, the low soil ph, or lack of soil prep when planting, I am not sure, but I am going to make sure I dont skimp out on it this time, and make sure we get something growing on there. What has been coming up, the deer have been hitting pretty good, and unfortunatly so have the bear.

My food plot with the brassicas, and the strip of clovers I planted is doing very well. I have deer in it on a regular basis, and it is growing pretty tall. I had to knock the ferns back with a weed eater, but most of my brassica plot is over knee high. The clover patch on my plot has seen a lot of bear action as well. I will be going back up in the mid part of August to replant my sons plot with a winter wheat, oat, and sunflower mix. I dont expect the sunflowers to mature, but thats ok, they can mow it to the ground as it comes up. The seed is cheap enough, that it will serve its purpose.

I had skipped putting all of the fence around all of the apple trees, because I ran out of fence, and I have always had other things to accomplish while I was up there. Figuring the deer wouldnt hit the trees until fall, I was wrong, I have 3 apple trees that have no leaves below the 5 foor mark. I hope they recover. I will have to make putting the fence around the last 3 trees a priority on my next trip.

Unfortunatly I didnt take any pictures this weekend, while I wish I had, because I felt like I accomplished a lot! I do have a couple deer camera pictures I can add to spice things up a bit.

One of my sons plot. All of the poplar trees you see in the picture have been removed to allow more sun in. This is a learning process for me, and I hope it helps make it more of a foor plot, rather then a seed bed.

PICT0116.thumb.JPG.9440873699d713f4bc334

and a few from my camera.

image1.thumb.jpeg.9c845ca98684cbe7db0570

image2.thumb.jpeg.1a4cdf093b63fd9bc78781

Edited by Scott K

In the past week, I have been getting a lot more deer pictures, and I havent got any bear pictures. I think it may have to do with the berries are pretty much ripe now, and the bear are feeding on them, rather then scavenging in my "deer" food plots. I am actually more concerned with my apple trees once they start baring fruit, because the bear will knock them down by climbing on them, and my little fences wont stop them. The deer are starting to hit the brassica plot, which I think is a little early, because I dont want them to wipe them out, before the tubers/bulbs develop.

I decided if I am going to do it, I may as well make sure it is done right. I will rent a disc, and disc the soil up on my sons plot, and make a another new plot while I have the disc, then I will broadcast the seed on it, then use the drag with the tines down flat to cover the seed. This is what I did with my brassica plot, and I think it turned out great! But I am leaving the stumps in this one for now. The other new plot was a camping area, that isnt used any more, and is roughly 3/4 of an acre in size, that I can see from my stand that I hunt the brassica plot in. This will give them between 2.5-3 acres of food plots to feed out of. I also changed up what I am planting in my sons plot, and this new plot, mostly do to unknown soil conditions in the new plot, so I decided to plant something that will tolerate lower ph in both. My sons plot I did put down lime on it, but that wont have much time to work, before I plant in a couple weeks, and the new plot, I do plan on spreading lime on it, but with no time to work, it wont benefit this fall much, but should give it a boost for next seasons plots. I am going to plant heavy in these 2 spots, mostly for tonnage, to keep food available for them through fall, winter, and into spring. I plan on planting about 110 pounds of cereal rye, 100 pounds of oats, 150 pounds of winter wheat, 10 pounds of a clover mix, 50 pounds of Australian winter peas on these 2 plots. It may seem like a lot, but the grains grow straight up, the clover probably wont grow much this season, and the oats and peas probably will get hit to hard to establish before hunting season, but it should lure them in the area, and hopefully they decide to stick around for the rest of the food.

I am competing with just one farmer in the area, and he has about a 75 acre corn field about a half mile away, other then that, there isnt much crop competition in the area, mostly just woods, and swamps, within a 10 mile radius. But the unknown is the acorn drop, and how heavy it will be. While I do have a quite a few oaks on my land, I didnt see a whole lot with acorns on them yet, and that doesnt mean the neighbors wont have a ton of acorns on their oak trees.

As of right now I have brassicas planted in one plot, and I have a mixture of stuff planted on a 1/4 mile logging road that grew in pretty decent, but is weedy, but I am not to concerned about the weeds on the logging roads, because I just figure them to be a bonus. I also have about 30 hinge cut trees that are staying green, and feeding the deer from the leafs, I have 2 mineral pits, that will need to be replenished soon. My concern right now is that the deer are in my brassica plot around the clock, and if I dont get them something else to eat soon, they will wipe them out before the bulbs develop on the brassicas. Last I checked, on the hinge cut trees, they are browsing the leafs from the trees I dropped with the tops on the edge of the trail, but they arent venturing into the woods to go after the leafs. I think they are starting to bed in my land more often now that I dropped some of the trees, and just let them lay on the ground. By doing that, it has thickened up the ground a lot, and has allowed sun to the ground, and brush, and tall grasses are starting to grow thicker in there. I have no clue what is actually growing though!

I have so many things I want to try to get done yet this year up there, and they all seem like they are requirements, and that it needs to get done, but I know all the work I have already done, has made my land much more attractive to be in this entire season for the deer, and all wildlife, and hopefully it will continue into fall, and through winter. Next spring I plan on adding about 10 more apple trees, and about 50 more evergreens of some kind for ground, and thermal cover through winters, along with continuing dropping more trees to thicken the ground cover, and open the canopy up to allow more natural growth in the woods. I have one spot in particular that is on a small hillside, that I would like to either plant some sort of tall wild grasses, or some sorghum, and some pines, spruces, etc for them to bed in.  All of my plans for this year will end after labor day, because I wont go back in the woods after that, other then to change out memory cards, or swap batteries in the cameras.  After labor day, I get to excited about bow hunting around home, to worry about rifle season. Maybe I will schedule some time this fall to catch a fish or two as well.

My plan all along has been to improve the land, and get deer to come in on a regular basis, and to hopefully stick around though rifle season, and to supply some extra food through winter. I know from the increase in deer on camera, I have been somewhat successful, and it is yet to be determined if my work this summer will pay off for the rest of my goals. I am not a head hunter, and my goal isnt to put a trophy rack on the wall, while I wont pass one up either, I would be satisfied with a big doe as well, or a large bodied buck.

Baiting is allowed in Wisconsin. But to answer your question, my food plots are a year around food source, that will feed them from spring, summer, fall, and through winter, it is benefiting the deer herd, not just luring them in to a corn pile for a quick shot during hunting season. For comparison, I have a few thousand dollars invested in making, preparing, and planting these food plots, comparing that to a bag of corn for $6. Also comparing the hundreds of hours of labor I put into these plots, to walking out carrying a 50 pound sack of corn once on your way to your deer stand.

Last season I had planted 1 food plot, and I never even hunted the land, because deer numbers were so low, I figured not hunting was the best for the herd.

Del, I won't argue with you that by planting food plots, it is luring deer onto my land, for the same purpose as baiting, to get deer to come during hunting season, to get a shot at putting some meat in the freezer.

The difference is baiting (a pile of corn) only benefits the hunter. While my food plots benefit many deer all year round, from mid winter, when they are looking for food to just survive the hard winter, to spring, when there isn't anything growing yet, but my brassicas are still being dug up, and the clover,  winter wheat, and winter rye is coming up, long before any other forest browse, helping the pregnant doe's. To early, mid summer providing high protein foods for the fawns, and doe's. Then late summer, early fall for the bucks to put on some extra weight, before they head into rut, and of course fall, that will help them by adding a higher fatty food source to put weight on before winter.

Technically I am farming, with no intent on harvesting the crop.

Legally, I am not sure how they could prove if I was a small farmer, or a deer hunter. Ethically, read above, the deer benefit more then I do. For the money, and hours I put into it, not to mention buying the land, I could easily pay a high fence fee, and shoot a trophy deer, but it isnt about that. I actually enjoy doing it.

As far as hunter or farmer determination, the Schedule F on your income taxes might provide a clue. :-) All kidding aside Scott, I don't look at what you're doing for deer any differently than what we've done to enhance pheasant or waterfowl habitat. There's all kinds of stuff planted that they can eat from nannyberry, Freedom honeysuckle, chokeberries to American cranberry in addition to providing shelter. And I usually leave the garden stuff (sweetcorn, beans, etc.) out there for them to pick at. Amazing how many dust buffles and tracks we see in the snow in the garden area. We choose not to hunt the pheasants but purposely attract them. It's just fun to see them and provide something they can enjoy. The waterfowl we hunt in the wetland whenever we get a chance. It too had some help from some seed packets to establish plants for waterfowl to forage on. Just need a little cooperation from Mother Nature to fill 'er up for fall. And my guess is like our plantings, yours provides food for non-game species and organisms other than what you were intending. 

Lots of un intended wildlife that I/we will never hunt also frequent the food plots. Squirrels, Turkeys, quail, partridge, all kinds of other birds in there, I get a ton of racoon pictures, bear, I even had 1 badger in there a couple years ago. Lots of other benefits from my food plots, other then me to shoot a deer.

Plus my land is in Wisconsin, and baiting is legal there. So, I could just dump a pile of corn to attract them during hunting season, but I prefer to feed them all year. I know in the grand scheme of things, my little 3 acre plots don't make a huge difference, but for now, that is what I have to offer them, and I think it is better then a pile of corn, that the deer would fall dead on during hunting season.

In addition to food plots, I have added tall native grasses, some evergreens for them to bunker in during cold winters, or to hide from other prey. I have cut down over 100 trees to thicken up the ground cover, and allow sun in for natural browse to grow. I have hinge cut trees for the deer to eat the leaves of the trees, and they should continue to feed them for several more years. I plan on to continue improving the land every year, and planting more apple trees as well.

The pictures are a little out of order, but I wrote the post on my pc, then posted the pictures from my phone.

I went up and prepped the plots, and planted the fall crop. I rented a disc, and disced it up as good as I could, considering my sons plot still has a lot of roots, and stumps in it. It sure was a challenge to stay cool while working, but with the rain that was forecasted, and my schedule, it needed to be this past weekend.

image.thumb.jpg.6bc63208db1983099c2da3cfimage.thumb.jpg.b385eafa9189843e1c2def70image.thumb.jpg.0086a48055be87f1ef2d0eb9image.thumb.jpg.5e2a7ecf19c05c323546b4a0

I started with applying 500 pounds of lime, and the correct amount of fertilizer in the new plot, that use to be an old camp site. I then disced that area, and worked the lime and fertilizer into the soil. Knowing that the lime probably wont effect this years crop much, but it will sure give next years a boost. I then spread the winter wheat, winter rye, and oats into the new plot and dragged it then packed it in, then spread clover on top, then dragged it again.

I then moved back to my sons plot with the disc, and worked that area up as well as possible, but it was a challenge to run the atv, and disc in between all of the stumps. I did the best I could, then used a spike toothed drag to scratch the surface of the remaining, that was to hard to get the drag in. I think it turned out fairly well for the circumstances. I previously have limed, and fertilized this plot, so all I had to do is work up the soil enough for the seeds, plant, then cover and pack the seeds in. In my sons plot I planted Winter wheat, winter rye, oats, and soy beans. I know the soy beans wont mature, but it will draw deer in to the area, then they can feed on the rest of the plot after they mow the soybeans down to the ground. After planting, dragging, and packing my sons plot, I tossed a bag of urea on top of it that I had left over from earlier in the year.

image.thumb.jpg.7f224f8bdd03ad2e82dc1a62image.thumb.jpg.ad7bad591b46500199eca6c0image.thumb.jpg.1f704b916d245bb2f6709d39image.thumb.jpg.9439dcec95cbcedb8defd34aimage.thumb.jpg.98146a0acab0b82f2738304aimage.thumb.jpg.6d62df1a3bc3091ecc7b7e1d

I then went into the back area of my brassica plot, that I had planted a clover, oats mixture in in June, and I tossed in more clover seed, and some winter wheat, winter rye, and some oats to get some fresh greens growing in the plot for fall, I then weed whacked the standing oats to just above the standing clover, which was about 6-8 inches tall. This should provide a layer of thatch of the new seed, and hopefully get some good germination. I figured this would give them a good 40 yards by 20 yards with a thick fresh stand of grains to work on if the brassicas go bad before it freezes. My brassicas are starting to grow bulbs, but the deer are grazing it hard, and I dont know if they will continue to grow with most of the tops eaten off. The biggest bulbs I saw were about 3 inches.

As of right now, my food plots are done for the year! The birds are really enjoying the fresh seed I planted, but with getting some rain the night after planting, and with a good chance of rain several days this week, I am hoping the seeds grow, and the birds leave them alone.

Next trip up will be clearing shooting lanes, and repairing anything needed on the stands, along with a few other pushed off to do list items that were brushed off for food plotting.

image.jpg

Edited by Scott K

Shortly after weed whacking the back area of my brassica plot,  like 20 minutes later, I had a visitor to check out what happened. image.thumb.jpg.2106c9696882db7bce39d019

On my way up to my land, my wife and I stopped in Stillwater for a CF benefit, and had a rather nice evening. 

image.thumb.jpg.7e9e39557952ee5d74187a25image.thumb.jpg.b7ec4598ee6b3e3b41c7063eimage.thumb.jpg.625fddbad57c6cb7927c6f55image.thumb.jpg.3d214fdd0a7a4ec20daf0215image.thumb.jpg.c071691f2fcdca15d7ec6c15image.thumb.jpg.776f03d21cf9f5cf4cc7d89d

it was a beautiful evening on the St Croix for a dinner cruise!

I planted last Saturday, and I installed a couple cameras over the new plots to check out the action, and to see how well the plots are growing. Well here is a couple shots of the old camp site before last weeks rain image.thumb.jpg.5fc5799c8fdfd145f74c75cdimage.thumb.jpg.4102da025145a89577e4543f

and a couple pictures a couple days later. 

image.thumb.jpg.d1fa1b0805972daa87f97165image.thumb.jpg.fbfbc38bb42303f49e537422

i would say in less then a week, things are looking good. I have had about 20 deer pictures a day since it started to come up. But I can tell they are a little nervous being in it. They stick to the edges, and don't hang out long. 

This is is a picture of the back of my brassica plot that I weed wacked just above the standing clover, and over seeded it with more clover, winter rye, winter wheat, and oats. They have been hitting this spot heavy since the last rain, so they must be enjoying the fresh growth, and you can tell they are much more comfortable in this plot. Being it has been in since early summer. 

image.thumb.jpg.f9456537e87b67b7f52c068aimage.thumb.jpg.d2ecd4005a5621e178b9ea7e

i have been getting a steady amount of pictures coming in from this plot all day, and night long. Over a hundred a day. I believe they are rather comfortable in this plot. Being this plot is fairly close to the old camper site plots, a few hundred yards away, I suspect the pressure will split between the plots soon. Of all the pictures, I haven't gotten even one mature buck picture. Either small bucks, does, or fawns. But if the does continue to hang out regularly, I think in a couple months, the bucks will go looking for them. 

I don't have any wireless cameras on my sons plot, so I won't be able to see any action on his plot until I go up there next, and that may be a month yet. 

I didn't know baiting deer was legal in Wisconsin.  Spearing sturgeon, and baiting deer.  What other advancements can they come up with? 

I am not sure who's regs are better or worse. I know I dont like the restrictive regs in MN, and I sometimes have to wonder about the loose regs in Wisconsin. But to be honest, while Wisconsin has much looser regs, they also have some very good hunting, along with very good numbers, and quality deer. Not to mention the fishing, they have much looser laws then we do here in MN, but they have some very good fishing over there, so they can't be doing everything wrong! There are some groups I know from MN that are trying to get some of the border laws change in Wisconsin, especially for fishing.

Something I noticed a few weeks ago that struck my eye, I was out walking around home, and found the oak trees loaded with acorns, so I was thinking this would be a great year to hunt some of the larger group of oaks up north, and I was going to place a couple portable stands near the oak trees. When I went up there a week ago and I was planting the food plots, I noticed there wasnt an acorn on any oak trees up there. I would assume there was a late frost that wiped them out, while that may be good for drawing deer into my food plots this fall, it wont be so good for the deer if there is a long winter. I may just grab some more winter rye and wheat when I go up next, and plant the entire logging road from front to back. This should add another acre or so of food for them, I know it wont be a cure all, but for the money it will cost me ($50 or less) for the seed, and a couple hours of my time, it could be huge for the wildlife. After deer hunting, I use to throw out bales of hay for them, but since cwd started being a scare, I think it is best not to have deer feeding from a pile of food in the woods.

The obsession continues I guess. It helps having an understanding wife that lets me have hobbies, and understands that it is something I enjoy, and helps me get through the year until hunting season. After last weekend when I got done planting, I told her I am all done with food plots for the year, I know she didnt believe me. lol

I thought I would add a couple progress pictures of the food plots. The first one the one I just planted a couple weeks ago in the old camping location. I need to get the electrical pole out of there, because some deer have been avoiding it, and some walk up to it to smell it, then are gone. image.thumb.jpg.f6174d151242d6202ec39240

This picture is of the back of my brassica plot that I tossed out a variety of seed in a patch about 20 yards by 40 yards or so. Mostly incase the brassica plot didn't take, or if the deer weren't interested in them. A couple weeks ago I tossed a bunch of seed down in there, then weed whacked the taller oats that was growing in it, to add some fresh greens growing into fall. It has thickened up a quite a bit. 

image.thumb.jpg.233d49858796d59d579bb04b

So it seems deer aren't the only thing to enjoy the fresh food plot.  But there are also a lot of wild raspberry bushes along the edges where the babies are. I suspect the berries will be drying up soon, and the bear will find a better place to hang out. 

image.thumb.jpg.8907a72b795e1ee0689fec44

I am undecided if I will be going up this weekend and fighting the heat and humidity, I may just find something a little more relaxing, and cooler. Then just broadcast the rye, and wheat on the logging road when I go up in a couple weeks.