• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stump removal/Deer plot, and land improvements

The chain at the top of the stump video works, to a degree. I've pulled larger stumps but I wrap the chain at the stump base and bring it up the opposite side of the stump that the truck is on and over the top of the stump to the hitch. The leverage applied relevant to stump height and chain length will impact how easily the stump is "tipped" over.

One thing that makes me nervous about tipping over tall trees, is if the tree breaks off, or if limbs break off and fall back on me. These are tall maple trees, even though they arent very wide at the base. I guess I will play it by ear, and try a few different options.

Maybe look into a block and tackle system so you can fell the tree in a different direction of where your truck is. There would be some expense in cables etc. but there would you would increase your pulling power twofold or more depending on how fancy of a system you used.

In all seriousness. Many people have died when the cable/chain/strap breaks trying to pull things out. If you do attempt it, be very careful. When half of a broken strap or chain comes through your back window at 100mph, bad results are likely.

Good point. Put a jacket or something in the middle of the chain/rope so it stops the backlash.

Well I was up there this past weekend, cutting trees, I cut down about 100 total, and have about half of them cut up. Just for curiosity reasons, I hooked up to a 4 inch thick stump with my truck, and just gave it a little tug, the stump splintered and broke ground level. Now the ground was still frozen, so I will try it again, on the smaller trees like this, hopefully with a better outcome, because I would say half of the trees are 4 inch or less.

I am heading back up this weekend to finish cutting up the trees, and to get ready to start removing tree stumps, and planting some apple trees, which I will be doing later in April. I found out a buddy of mine has a smaller back hoe, with a blade, and I think that would make easy work of removing the tree stumps? I have a lot of work to do to get this all prepped to plant this summer, and with limited trips up there, I need to make the most of the trips I do make up there.

I was wondering if I should use the small tree branches, brush to thicken up the area around the outside of the food plot for deer cover, and to funnel them into shooting lanes? Rather then just having a brush fire to rid the tree tops, or would that essentially become a fire hazard?

If you are going to be pulling smaller trees out there is away to do it you might find handy. Get a hold of a fifty-five gallon metal drum. Attach your chain from your truck to the stump and lay the chain across the barrel (Laying on its side) push the barrel up close to the stump. When you pull on the chain the barrel will make the chain pull upwards lifting the tree out of the ground instead of pulling it through the ground. On smaller trees you can use the same method and use a coma- long to pull trees out and use the truck as an anchor, less tearing up of the ground from the truck tires.

I havent got to the step of needing to get the stumps out yet, but I am getting close. The first weekend we spent 2 days cutting down trees, and started to cut them up. The second weekend I was up there I spent most of the time cutting all the trees up, and piling up some of the brush, and wood. My next trip up there I plan on picking up and hauling out the cut wood, and organizing the brush piles to create bedding areas near the food plot, and my order of apple trees came in, so I will be planting them as well. This sure is a lot of work. I knew it would be, and I am pretty much on par as for the work I wanted to get done at this point. But to turn the planned work, into actual labor, is a little more then I expected. I am also getting a little older, and recover time is a little longer then it was in years past.

Here is a photo of the area when I left this past weekend.

full-17556-54612-land(1).jpg

Based on personal experience, if you plant apple trees you need to protect them from three species. Mice, rabbits, and deer.

So you need a mesh fence around each tree that goes up about 4 feet, and some tree wrap all the way to the soil. And some rodent killer inside the fence. Your could try hardware cloth for a dual purpose barrier.

I'd add voles to the list.

The best way to protect the trunks from chewing rodents is with aluminum window screen. Cut an 18"x36" strip, fold it in half around the trunk and close it using a household stapler. Make sure to run several rows of staples vertically and horizontally along the "seams" of the screen. Staples will pop as the tree grows, that's why you need multiple rows.

For exterior cages I use 5' cement wire cut into 15' lengths. Cement wire is about 40% cheaper than welded wire and lasts forever. Only 1 t-stake is needed to hold the cages in place.

Based on personal experience, if you plant apple trees you need to protect them from three species. Mice, rabbits, and deer.

So you need a mesh fence around each tree that goes up about 4 feet, and some tree wrap all the way to the soil. And some rodent killer inside the fence. Your could try hardware cloth for a dual purpose barrier.

I have apple trees there that I planted a few years ago. I did put up a fence around them to keep the deer away, but I never did anything for mice, but I dont see any of them with any mice damage. But about half died, and they have black spots on the dead ones.

I have been up and working on the new food plot a couple times now. I have the wood and brush all picked up, and I have been working on pulling out the small (1 inch or less) trees that are coming up. I have tried to pull the small(3 inch ) trees out with my truck, but I cant keep the chain on them, and they just lean over and the chain falls off. I have gotten an estimate on an excavator to come in and pluck them out, and I have also considered renting a mini excavator and doing it myself. A friend has one, but after talking to him, I decided it would be best to just rent one up there, and not trailer it 200 miles, if I decide to go that route.

I have noticed a large increase in deer using the newly cut area, eating on the tree tops, and bedding in the brush piles, without anything planted in the plot. Although the area is starting to green up, and I think they are enjoying the fresh growth from the wild grasses growing.

Just to update this a bit, let me start off by saying, this is a lot more work then I have ever imagined. I got the estimate from a local to go in and pull them out with an excavator for $500 on one of the plots, this didnt include leveling, or disposal of the stumps, just pluck them out, and toss them aside.

I checked with the local rental places, and found one in Hayward that rented mini excavators for $295 for 24 hours, and 8 hours worth of use. I went that route, I figured why should I pay some one to play on an excavator, when I can play on one myself for much cheaper. After I backed it off the trailer, I noticed it didnt seem very responsive, but I had nothing to compare it to, to say something was wrong. The rental place was over an hour away, and I didnt feel like loading it back up and bringing it back for them to tell me that is normal. So I went on my way back to the lot, it didnt seem to want to turn very well, and that was my first clue. I got back to the stumps, and starting pulling, and digging them out. It was working, but it was a slow operation. After about 7 hours on the machine, I was about half way done, and a hose blew. I called up the rental place, they told me I had to bring it back, so I loaded it back up, hauled it an hour back, and they gave me a different one. I asked them about the sluggishness on it, and he let me try out the new one I was picking up, and it worked 10 times better. So I went back, and finished up almost all of it in 3.5 hours. I loaded it back up at night, brought the machine back to them in the morning, and they charged me for the extra 2 hours I had used the 2 machines. Even though the first machine didnt work correctly, and the guy at the counter said the 2 speed switch was on, and that is what caused it to be sluggish. I asked him what 2 speed switch, he said the guy that rented it to you told you about it, I told him I dont recall anyone telling me anything about a 2 speed switch that would cause it to be sluggish. He then told me that is the problem with people that dont know how to run equipment, then dont listen to directions. He then told me that the house was damaged by something, and not worn out, so I would have to pay for that as well. I argued the extra $100 they charged me for the extra 2 hours, but to no avail. He told me that maybe next time I would pay closer attention to the directions they give when I rent something. I told him I assure it would be from someone else!

Any how, the total ended up being more then the $500 I would have paid to hire someone else to do it. I still have a half dozen stumps standing, and some root holes I didnt get filled. But I did get to play with an excavator for a day, and I do get to say I did this myself, so it has some self worth of pride in it. In hindsight, I am not sure if I would hire someone, or do it again myself?

The area looks like a big mess, with roots sticking up all over, and rocks all over that need to be picked up, and a few holes that I will need to fill in. The few stumps still standing dont bther me at all. I have about a days worth of pulling stumps to a pile with the 4 wheeler, picking up rocks, and roots, but after that I think it will be ready to disc up and throw some lime down to improve the soil. The soil ph came back at 5.7, so about 2000 lbs per acre of lime. I will also be throwing in some potash as the potasium was a little low as well. I didnt get any action photos, or videos of the work in progress, but I did get a couple photos of the after action.

full-17556-55631-image1.jpg

full-17556-55632-image2.jpg

full-17556-55633-image3.jpg

I have a few game cameras up on the land, and in 2 weeks time I have over 3000 deer pictures over this one I cleared out. They have been in there regularly, all day long, every day. Hopefully after tearing up the plot, spraying gly on it, they dont go to far away, and they will come back when the food plots are growing strong later in the summer, and fall.

I lost one camera to a bear, I did find the camera about 10 yards away, and I got to pull the pictures on it, but the camera has seen better days. The last few pictures where of a momma bear and 2 cubs, the last picture was of a black hairy object right next to the camera. The date is off by a month, it should be 4/29

full-17556-55636-imag1490.jpg

My plan is to use the tree brush, and stumps to create a prime bedding area for the deer. I have created a nice 100 yard area that is full of downed trees, hinge cut trees, brush tops from the trees I cut down, and some of the stumps. This area will be more of a sanctuary, where people wont be allowed. I have lined them up in non straight rows to guide deer from a trail, to my deer plot. I plan on using the rest of the stumps, and tree tops around my food plots to cut off entrance points to the food plot, so deer are more forced to use trails, rather then just entering from all over.

As you can see from the photos, I left some trees, and a few stumps in the food plot, to make deer feel more secure, rather then a wide open area. From the area I am taking the pictures, my stand is about 75 yards behind, and to the right. It is not over looking the food plot, but I can see the food plot. It is over looking a major deer trail coming from a creek. Last week end we also planted 27 spruce trees ranging from 5 feet tall, to a foot tall, to create a visual screen from the neighbors land, since in the past, I have had issues with them shooting deer on my land, from his stand, that he has set up on the property line. These trees may not prevent anything for a few years, but down the road it will, I hope.

While this has been more work then I would have ever imagined, I think in the long run, it will reward our hunting party for many years, and it has actually been kinda fun, and addicting. While my goals I set to get done this year are far from over, I am already making plans for next year. I have talked to a couple of the neighbors, and one has been doing food plots, and deer sanctuaries for years, and another neighbor, who has an ag farm, has been planting food plots on some of the woods edges, and corners of fields with food that will be there through winter, rather then be combined up in the fall. Hopefully with combined efforts we can get the deer herds back up to good numbers, and have some quality deer roaming the woods again.

On a side note from that, I have a lot of bear in the area, which they have a tendency to bring the fawn numbers down. It seems the wolves the past couple years have gone off into the bog down the road a mile or so, and havent had much effect on the deer in our area. If only the DNR would realize the number of bear in the area, and give out a few more tags.

I plan on going up a few more times over the next few weeks to get the plot ready to plant, I will add to my story as I go.

To follow up on the progress, I went up alone this past weekend, and spent about 12 hours of work on it, I didnt accomplish everything I wanted to, but I did get a quite a bit done for being there myself. My plan was to pull the stumps out of the plot, and pile them up to make bedding areas, and to block off some of the entrance points into the food plot. So the deer need to enter it on trails, where I want them to enter, rather then in a blind spot, or where they may see me. I also put a big pile up right in front of my stand to block the stand, and make it easier for me to climb in and out of it, but after thinking about it, they may now bed right in front of my stand, but I doubt that will happen. I also wanted to drag, level off, and pick up all the roots, and rocks, which I didnt get that part of it completed yet. Next weekend I am bringing up the lime to disc into the soil, so I was hoping I had it ready to go on. Oh well, a couple hours of work, with helpers, and it will be all ready to spread the lime on. At this point I have about 2/3 of it prepped for the lime.

I dont have any action shots, since I was up alone, and I never remember to take pictures while I am working. Dragging the stumps out actually turned into a 3 separate accomplishments, I would hook up to one of the dirt filled stumps, and drag it over the uneven ground, and the dirt would fall off into the low spots, and the stumps would dig into the high spots and pull the dirt into the low spots. So just pulling the stumps around in a few circles, I ended up moving the stumps, removing the dirt from the stumps, and leveling the ground. I did run a drag over it after dragging the stumps as well, but I think I made some good progress for just an atv, and being alone. Hopefully I get caught up and have it all limed, and disced next weekend.

On another plot I planted winter wheat in this spring, and it is finally starting to grow past deer grazing on it. It has reached about 6 inches tall now. I also added a few mineral pits into a couple low spots and the deer have those all tore up. While I was running the drag on this plot, I decided to drag the logging road between the 2 plots, and I would plant something on that as well. But after a few passes I realized I needed a helper to clear the brush and leaves from the drag tines, because they kept plugging up.

I just wonder if the deer realize how much time and money I spend on making a nice hangout for them? I just hope the wife doesnt realize how much time and money I spend on the deer!

full-17556-55766-plotprep4.jpg

full-17556-55767-plotprep2.jpg

This past weekend, I spread out about 2000 pounds of lime per acre, and added the potash fertilizer and disced it in. In the above post there is a video of me discing, and the picture is after discing, but before running a drag through it to break up the chunks. I also disced up an old plot, and an old logging road to turn into a food plot this summer. I did plant a bag of some throw and grow stuff that I bought at Fleet Farm a while ago on part of the logging road, that I never got planted before. I figured if it grows, great, if not oh well. I have the plots all ready to plant for later this summer, probably around the middle of July. I may have to spray, and drag again, but the heavy work is done. Except rock picking, and roots, but I think they pop up like weeds, because I have walked through it many times, and think it is good, then to walk through it again another time, and find out there are a hundred more to pick up. Most of the work this past weekend was done on Saturday since it rained a good part of the rest of the weekend.

I have the land flat enough to work an atv on, but not good enough for a combine, but I never had plans to harvest it, only to feed the deer, then disc in and improve the soil. It is good enough for me, and I am sure the deer wont complain. After all said and done with this plot, I would have to think hard whether I would pay someone else to do it for me, or do it again myself. It was a lot of work! But, I am the type of person that prefers to not pay others to do stuff that I can do. Next year I do plan on expanding on another food plot that I have, but I dont think I will remove the stumps, just remove a few trees to open the canopy up some. That plot has been over grown by trees reaching into the opening in the past 10 years or so.

In some of the photos you can see some of the apple trees, I believe there is 10 in this food plot that I just planted this year, all but one have leaves, and is flowering, but the one that isnt, does have small green buds on it, so I havent condemned it yet.

We had a few more furry friends that wanted to mess with the camera again as well. This time I got a close up of him. No damage to the camera this time. This is while we were there on Friday, before we went and pulled cards from the cameras.

PICT0205.JPG

PICT0203.JPG

PICT0210.JPG

I know in one of my previous posts, I said the wolves havent been around for a couple years, but this past Friday when we got up there, there were 2 of them standing in the new food plot. I hope that doesnt turn into a regular thing. Between the bears, and the wolves, they can sure thin out the deer population in an area, especially one that is just recovering. I was surprised to see pictures of doe still carrying fawns, I figured they would be dropped by now.

I am headed back up this weekend to plant some brassicas, and some other fall seed. I will be holding off on the grains until later summer. I still have to screen some of the apple trees to protect them from the mice, I am hoping to get that done this weekend as well. While i am there I am going to open the canopy up a bit on my sons food plot, spray it, and prep it for the grains to plant late July or early August. Since I will be cutting some trees, I am going to hinge cut a few random trees to thicken up the ground, and open the sky to let some sunlight On to the floor, and hopefully get some more useful plants growing, rather then ferns and itch weed in the woods. 

The he trees up there are mostly poplar, and maple. I know deer like to browse on hinge cut maples, but I am not sure if they like poplar? I will hinge a couple and watch them during the summer and see. 

I I have been doing research on improving hunting lands for years, and I have been making a plan for a while. This year is when I start making the plan a reality. 

I will post a few pictures and update when I get back.