• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS info

AaronM

Question

I'm looking to buy a new GPS unit. So far I've decided on the Garmin GPS 72 because I think it has the most for the least price. (am I right or wrong?) Is there anywhere on the internet where you can buy your GPS for a cheaper price? $160 is the lowest I've found. Thanks for any help.

FF

Just a few more questions from me. Just about to make a purchase, but I am stuck between the Garmin 76 Map or the SporTrak Pro. There is about a $40 difference with the SportTrak being a little cheaper. The SporTrack pro has 32 MB, while the Garmin Map 76 only has 8. Is there different mapping applications for different units? Why is the 76 a little more expensive - is it just the name??
What mapping packages should I consider?

Thanks!

------------------
Clueless - -

I MYSELF OWN THE ETREX LEGEND AND LOVE IT.. IT HAS MAPPING ON IT AND YEAH YOU CAN D/L STUFF FROM YOUR COMPUTER THERES A BACK ROADS AND REC C.D THAT YOU CAN BUY AND D/L THAT IT DOES SUPPORT FISHING HOT SPOTS C.D

------------------
"If it doesn't have teeth and a white spot on it's tail, I don't want it in my boat"

I got a Sportrak Pro and love it! Did alot of research, almost bought a Garmin unit because of Garmins popularity everyone was recommending it. The Sportrak has been great. Alot of competition heating up with magellan offering rebates. if you can wait the prices may drop more. Irvingdog any recommendations on mapping software (topo and lake) for the sportrak pro besides the magellan products??

lakevet

ps let a kid play with your sportrak- it floats if it goes overboard unlike my fishing rods smile.gif

I got a Sportrak Pro and love it! Did alot of research, almost bought a Garmin unit because of Garmins popularity everyone was recommending it. The Sportrak has been great. Alot of competition heating up with magellan offering rebates. if you can wait the prices may drop more. Irvingdog any recommendations on mapping software (topo and lake) for the sportrak pro besides the magellan products??

lakevet

ps let a kid play with your sportrak- it floats if it goes overboard unlike my fishing rods smile.gif

Look into the Magellan meridan units. they are a bit spendier, but give you a lot more for your money. Many features and 16 meg of built in memory.
I bought one recently and love it. I thought the main reason for buying it was that you can expand the memory and even load topo's onto the chip and swap chips. FYI, you can buy the memory chips at Best Buy for almost 1/2 of what Magellan wants for them.
They also have a 50$ rebate on right now. Through the end of June I think.