• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plowing with chains

woodsmanmn

I used them a few years ago on my asphalt driveway and I only noticed a small spots in the spring. I used them because I plow the hockey rink in our backyard on the ice. Generally they aren't needed though for my driveway but it's pretty flat.

Plow with chains on rear tires, don't notice any damage to asphalt. Just don't go crazy with the throttle and you'll be fine.

Yep, same for me. Polaris Ranger with V-bar chains. Good traction, don't over do the throttle.

Chains make a huge difference in snow/ice conditions in general for all vehicles.

If you've never run them you're in for a good experience.

Put them on your 4x4 truck and head to the lake mid winter when the snow is deep. You'll be amazed. It feels like you have 8 wheel drive. Now there are limits with chains as well and when you get stuck you're really stuck.

V-bar chains are the only ones I'll buy now. A set for the truck are $75 or less at Fleet Farm if I remember correctly. Less of course for ATV/UTVs.

They are a big help for plowing. One year it was time to get the fish houses off and the weather warmed up big time. The ice was covered with water, you couldn't stand without wearing boot cleats. Without those chains, we wouldn't have been able to get about a half dozen houses off the lake.