• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Targeting walleyes during the spawn?

Looking for your thoughts on spawning activities for Mn boundry waters. The lakes we normally fish ( Petenwell and Castle Rock) are fed by the WI river. When the spawn hits in the spring the lakes empty of walleye as they head up the river to spawn. Just wondering how far these boundry water fish will actually run for the spawn? Will the fish normally located in Kabetogama try to run thru Namakan, Sand Point and end up in Crane Lake and Little Vermilion? I would think that they would head to any tributary that feeds the lake that they normally hang out in

? New to early season Walleye hunting!!!

We have a houseboat rented on the week proceeding Memorial Day next spring. Taking an opportunity to get the last week of their 20% preseason discount. We'd love to come out in the summer and fish deep water humps, but as houseboats go, that's the season for the rich folks.

The MN opener will be during the week before we arrive so there will be plenty of boats on these fish before we get on the water. These bodies of water have a slot limit and all Walleyes and Sauger 17" and larger must be returned to breed. On top of this only 4 walleye can be in your possession and 2 Sauger. ( including in the boat and in the freezer) Due to the Mercury content in these waters the MN DNR suggests that you only eat 1 meal a week and ladies of child barring years and children should only eat 1 meal a month.

I hope it is plain to see we have no intention of unethically slottering the mercury laden Walleye population but rather have some fun catching, photoing and releasing our favorite fish while on vacation. We do intend to keep a few legal fish for a shore lunch. In fact, in 40 yrs of fishing I've kept a walleye limit only 1 time.

I can only surmise that you assumed the worst by my question.

Please rest assured the Walleye population will stay intact during our visit.

Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of the Rainy River below Lake of the Woods in the spring. Trucks and trailer are literally lined up for miles to launch to catch 30" fish. I'm told no one can keep a fish!!!! It's all CPR!!!

To give you a quick idea of how far a fish will run, I've seen walleyes at the dam at Peltier lake in the spring. I know there are not walleyes in that creek all year, so they must have run up from where Rice Creek runs into the Mississippi. That's got to be 20mi.

Look for natural barriers with moving water. By keeping fish under 17", you'll be keeping all males most likely. You'll notice they look a little skinny for their length and if you timed it right will be...milting all over the place.

We ran into this situation on Rainy this year. The spawn happened in early June. Fishing was not as good as I thought it would be for walleyes.

My personal opinion is that it isn't ethical to target walleyes during the spawn. I wouldn't do it nor would I help someone else do it.

All it takes is a handful of fish to spawn successfully to maintain a population.

Nothing wrong with targeting spawning fish of any type.

Found this excerpt at Walleye Central

Understanding Pre-Spawn / Spawning Walleyes by Mike McClelland

Much debate has occurred over the years about fishing and walleye activity during the pre-spawn and spawning period.

Unfortunately much of the information that has been passed along has been based upon misinformation or just plain ignorance. Understanding walleyes and the proper techniques to use during this period will help you greatly improve your fishing success.

Many well intended anglers nationwide have questioned the ethics of catching walleyes during the pre-spawn. Remember this: It doesn't matter whether a female walleye is caught during this time period or in the summer, the net effect is much the same. Simply put, provided that anglers don't overharvest the key spawners, (the three to six pound females) during any time period throughout the year, fishing pre-spawn walleyes won't have a negative impact on your favorite fishery.

Always practice good conservation skills not only during this time period, but through out the whole fishing year.

If ice out is late like this year, guys were only able to fish the Ash River area for the first couple days of the 2014 opener. We're simply trying to prepare for all conditions.

Dan,

Don't take this sarcastically, but - not all the fish will leave the lake and keep going upstream until they're stopped. There should be plenty left in whatever lake you're fishing in the area. Concentrations ARE found in areas of moving water though at that time of year but they can be found in other suitable habitat.

I fished Kab on the opener a few years ago and our best quality fish came from 42 feet of water. I didn't expect to find them there but we did.

Best of luck on your trip! Its something we've talked about doing for several years now. Maybe some day.

I agree that it doesn't matter if the female is caught during the season or during spawning making the net result the same. My issue is that there is a large concentration of the bigger fish in a small area making them much more vulnerable. A few people catching a bunch of the big ones there will have more of an impact.

Point taken cylinder. Just wanted to show there are verying oppinons on the subject. I too would prefer to fish normal habitat areas and not during the spawn but, if it's still on when we're there we're still going to have fun fishing. We hope to mix in some pike, crappies and perch as well. I'm hoping to contact the DNR and get a better feel for when the spawn typically

happens in these waters. Hope your right and their all done by mid May.