• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

40 horse for 1700 Angler

32 degrees

Question

I was hoping a few of you could help me out with a question. Do you think a 40 horse 4-stroke would be a big enough motor for a 1700 Lund angler? I have talked to a few people about it and most believe it would be a big enough motor for most situations. It would also troll down very nice. What do you guys think?

11 answers to this question

It all depends on your usage, but if i was you I would go much more than 40hp on a 17ft boat.
If you mainly use boat in smaller lakes trolling around it could be ok, but if you start loading people, gear, etc. and travel some distance, I think you will "squeeze" that 40hp a little too much. Also consider gas mileage, a 40 full throttle will use much more gas than a 70at hald throttle.
I had a 14' aluminum with a 30hp and when was loaded with people (3) and gear it was perfect with hp, handling, and speed. I now have a 18.5ft with a 115hp, and I can get to speed quickly, travel at good sped without open wide and eventually pull any of my kids that want to tube behind during hot days.

I would get about 70hp to 115hp.

That's my 2 cents.

www.kvesurplus.com

KVESURPLUS3.gif

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 02-03-2003).]

I have a 50 horse Evenrude 4st. on my 16 and a half foot Rebel. SO I would go with at lease that if not more. IN fact, might want to go with the max. 50 is the max recommended for my boat and is perfect.

Jim W

I have a 16 1/2 foot Rebel with a 40 horsepower. It does just fine with 2 guys and gear. If you put 3 people in there, then it's a different story. I would definately go bigger if I could (my Rebel is an older model and is only rated for a 40). You'll never be sorry for going bigger. I'll bet that if you put the 40 on, you'll be back at the dealer trading up after you've used it for one year!

I had a 40hp Johnson on an 16' Lund Stinger (tiller). 2 guys and gear it struggled to get on plane. It went 28 mph GPS loaded. Max hp for this boat was a 50hp. That boat was mighty underpowered.

You are talking a larger boat, get a larger motor!

Think resale too....tough to sell a boat that size with a small motor.

I have a 50 horse on my 16.5 ft fisher rated for a 90 I kick my self every time I think about that salesman saying "that will be big enough for the boat" . Best thing you can do is max out the horsepoower. you will not be disapointed. sure beats taking a licking when you need to upgrade your 1 year old motor.

Snowking

If you can afford it,max it out!was under powered and i had to live with it for 6 years!Dont make my mistake.You will have less wear and tear on a motor thats not always struggling to get your boat on plane.That means more MPG.,and in big waves you wont take on water while getting on plane. just my 2 cents. p.s. i think the angler is the best bang for your buck,good choice!Ihave a skeeter tiller and after looking at the boat show I might go back to a tin boat next time.

NO! 40 HP is definately not enough power for the 1700 Angler. We had a 1675 Explorer w a 40 HP Merc 4 STroke for a demo last year and it was not nearly enough. For the 1700 Angler would go with nothing less than a 60 HP. Not only will you like it better, if you ever sell it you will have alot better resale.
Brian

I own a 2002 1700 Angler. If you are looking at new ones, I believe that you have the HP rating wrong because they are rated for 80 tiller/140 console. I have a 75 merc 2 stroke tiller, and am VERY glad I didn't go any smaller. I get about 36-37 MPH with me and a full tank of gas. It is a great boat, but I think that you would be disapointed with the 40 horse, especially the 4 stroke. If you look hard enough, you can probably get the 75 2 stroke for the same price as the 40 4 stroke. I would not even consider a motor under 60 hp. You gotta remember, this is a big boat at 92" wide! If you have any specific questions , I would be more than happy to help you out!

[email protected]

------------------
Wables

I run a 1775 pro V with a 75hp 4 stroke merc. Somewhat a comparable boat and here is my 2 cents worth. It does somewhat depend on your needs. If you only go on smaller lakes without a boat load of equip, people, etc. then you may be able to get by with a 40hp. I wouldn't be satisfied with just "getting by" however. With a boat like that I would imagine that eventually you would be getting out on some larger water if your not already. So my advice would be to get as large of a motor that the pocketbook will allow. You won't regret it and the extra cost spread out over the time one owns the boat isn't all that much. I would have to say that 60 would be a minimum that I would look at. The 4 strokes are sweet machines I would definately look into them but as mentioned above you may be able to up the hp with the same cost by going to a 2 stroke. Good Luck!