• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Line for a spinning reel

Steve Foss

Question

Hi,
I just bought my son (4) his first spinning combo for open water use. It's an ice-rig (28") with a spool capacity of 160@2lb, 90@4lb. I'd like to rig it with 6 or 8lb. line and am wondering what line type some of ya'll might suggest for...
1) smooth casting (low memory)
2) minimal looping

All responses appreciated!
Thanks,

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

3 answers to this question

Hi,
I just bought my son (4) his first spinning combo for open water use. It's an ice-rig (28") with a spool capacity of 160@2lb, 90@4lb. I'd like to rig it with 6 or 8lb. line and am wondering what line type some of ya'll might suggest for...
1) smooth casting (low memory)
2) minimal looping

All responses appreciated!
Thanks,

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

My preference for panfish ultralights is 6# P-Line X-tra strong. This line is tough, amazingly limp, and a joy to cast. To get the least amount of hassle, I hand stretch the first 20 feet of line before each outing to take out any memory. I also like to troll about 100 feet of line with a heavy lure with a swivel on new line or whenever line twist becomes a problem. Put Power Pro 8# (1# diameter) on your spare spool. This line has no memory and the round profile of the line helps to prevent the line digging into the spool. Use the knots shown on the instruction sheet included. You can use the Power Pro for ice fishing as it repels water which helps eliminate ice build up.

Here's a tip from a book I have. I believe the tip comes from Larry Nixon, but I'm not 100% sure. He says to soak your entire spool of line in a glass of water the night before you go out. This will take the memory out of the line and it will come off the spool like new.

Regards,
Double