• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing Sacagawea

Anyone on here out there? I live in Williston and I have heard guys are getting out but I don't know where to start. All my stuff's back home but I'm going to be getting it after Christmas and am hoping to try for some eyes and slimers. Thanks for any tips!

My fishing experience is on the other end of the lake. Being a reservoir that makes things somewhat different.

The ice on Sakakawea is truly never safe. At least on this end, there is coal in the ground that creates methane, which can create holes in the ice. The water level also drops through the winter, approx 3-7ft depending on the year. In narrow spots there will be current.

The water levels fluctuations are always changing fishing spots as well. Last years hot spot might be on shore or out in water that is too deep.

For walleyes I generally fish from 10-35 or so ft. You can get a bite in 10ft and the next one comes from 30 ft minutes later. I have caught fish all day long in the deeper water, not fast and furious but nice and steady. Don't get too hung up on one depth, I have found that in summer as well. With 4 lines you can work some different depths. It will probably be flatter with less depth variation on the other end of the lake.

Compared to other lakes that I have fished, jigging spoons seem to underperform on Sak for some reason. I have done the best on some type of glow-jig with a whole fathead under a bobber or possibly a tip-up. I have even gone with just bobber rigs at times and not jigging at all.

The Northern population is real strong right now. Not the monsters the lake is famous for, but lots of 3-8lb fish. There are some nice size ones available as well. Most people use either frozen smelt or herring under tip ups. Suckers and shiners are not a legal baitfish in ND. Creek Chubs would be legal if you can find them. I have caught a couple on larger jigging spoons tipped with a minnow as well. I generally go for the 10-18ft range. There is darkhouse spearing on Sak as well.

Candiru, figured I'd let you know how fishing's been. In a word, INCREDIBLE!!! I've been fishing kind of in the Tabacco Gardens/Whitetail Bay area. Been out 3 times and the pike have been on fire every time. Several fish over 15lbs, biggest around 18lbs. Had one on that was a monster. I got her up to the hole and saw her fat head before she shook off. Guessing 25 but coulda been more. Tons and tons of eaters from 5-10lbs. I usually only keep em up to about 8bs but there's so many of these big fish that I don't feel guilty keeping em to 10 or so. Been fishing 7-13'. Most fish are coming from about 9' but lots in the 7'-8' range too. One eater eye and 2 cats on top of all the pike. I think if I targeted them with smaller gear I'd get alot more, since I get alot of flags with only a couple feet of line pulled out, especially at dusk. Been using frozen suckers that I bought back in MN last time I was home. I was told it was legal if they were frozen, & smelt are waaay more expensive! If anyone wants to come join me sometime this winter, I'd love to take you out!

Billions and billions of em! I would say 3/4 of the northerns I've cleaned have white bass in em. Maybe it's gross, but I always check to see what my fish had for their last breakfast. smile Talking to some locals, spring & fall you can have 200 fish days, with a lot of nice whities.

Yes sir it is, or at least in that area. I've been fishing the north side of the lake, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a sign for Tabacco Gardens just east of Watford. Let me know how spearing goes out there. If you aren't having any luck I'll pm you the general area I've been at.

hey fishuhalik,

havent made it out yet to try that area. It was a little too cold to go experiment last weekend but will give you a report after this weekend.

Is the water clear enough to see in 8 to 10 fow? Would it be safe to drive a truck in both those areas?

Thanks again,

I dunno. I hate giving advise on ice thickness if I haven't personally measured it, but I would think its ok. Don't take my word for it though. I might be headed out tomorrow around 1 if i dont have to go out on a job. Shoot me a pm if you wanna hook up. I'll be going out of the L & C Access.

Hey guys...thanks for the posts. Fun to follow. I was just by Tobacco Gardens this past week for a job. Me and some co-workers will be fishing up that way in a couple of weeks near Skunk Bay.

Are the pike still snapping up around there?

Hey guys...thanks for the posts. Fun to follow. I was just by Tobacco Gardens this past week for a job. Me and some co-workers will be fishing up that way in a couple of weeks near Skunk Bay.

Are the pike still snapping up around there?

Hey fishn, sorry but I got called out on a job at 5am & am just now getting back. Hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow. Only 2 jobs were on the board and have crews assigned already. I sent you a pm with my phone #, shoot me a text tomorrow if you wanna get out.

Bites been slow but steady for me the last couple times out. I've still got a TON to learn about this lake, since it fishes way different than any MN lakes I've ever fished. My spot I was doing really well at earlier in the year has dried up, so I've bounced around to a few other bays with good results. Still can't get over the quality of the fish in this lake. THICK!!!