• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 not on 0 in zoom

fishbreath

Question

Went to a shallow pond today (2.5 ft.)( not my choice of lakes ) and when I turned on the vex. the LP zoom the right side was reading ok but the zoom was not on O FT. it was around 2 or 3 Ft.no signal at all around 0. Is the water to shallow or what? thanks for the reply.

19 answers to this question

I've noticed this as well. I've seen it in 30 feet, so I don't think it's that. I know there is a software flash update that you can get from Vexilar for this issue. I haven't gotten it, and don't know if I'll bother. I've heard that certain types of bottom can cause this. I fished in about 6ft the other day and mine stayed at 1ft line in AZ. I prefer normal mode in that shallowd of water. Often times it will "snap back" to zero and work fine. Someone else might have more information about the flash update that they can share, or call vex I guess.

Go to the Vexilar web site, they will list the serial numbers of the FL 18's needing updates. My FL 18 will do the same thing as you guys, bottom looks like its at the 1. Just remember, its all 'relative', it its showing the bottom at one and your jig is at two, then you're a foot off the bottom. Turning it to Norm and then back to AZ will sometimes reset it. I will be sending my unit in after the season but I'll put up with this for now, don't want to be without it.

Yes, your right the relativity is correct, I haven't worried about it too much and I don't know if I'll even send it in. I do the same thing, where I'll switch modes or even shut it off and back on. Most of the time it'll just go back after awhile whithout doing anything.

Thanks guys: I'll have to play with it hopefully on Friday,we are expecting up to 1 ft. of snow today. My FL-18 # have the up grade and a buddy said turn the mode to normal and turn gain up then go back to zoom.**** snow, or I would be fishing on thursday.

MarCum LX-3 users are not having the problems you guys are having with the FL-18's were spending more time on fishing instead of adjusting. If this FL-18 I got coming has the upgrades and I am having problems with it I will be selling it cheap and buying another MarCum. Now I am starting to regret even ordering an 18.

The answer to the original question is easy - you were fishing in 2.5 ft of water, right? The zoom was showing the 2.5 ft of water and moved the bottom up to make up the difference. The zoom gives you no advantage in less than 6 feet of water, as you gain no increase in separation, display, etc. Put the Vex in LP mode,and keep fishing. This is specifically talked about in the Fl-18 owners manual on page 20.

The second comment about having the bottom at 1 ft in 30 ft is probably due to moving from hole to hole. When you take the transducer out of a hole and put it in a new one, you usually have to switch the unit from AZ to normal (or LP) and back to AZ to get a good bottom lock again. If you do not, the zero may move. Minor inconvenience in my opinion.

Finally the software update. If your unit has a serial number less than 192,500 and is not marked "V2" or "Version 2", it needs the update. From what I understand the bottom composition that caused a problem was very uncommon, and was a deep layer of relativley light muck over a hard bottom. Few lakes have this bottom type. The unit had a problem knowing whether to lock on the top of the muck or on the hard bottom. A lot of guys have seen no problems and have not sent there units back. Just because you bought it this year doesn't mean you are safe, because I saw some units for sale this year that had obviously been in stock since last year and had lower serial numbers.

The FL-18 did a great job on gills, crappies, and perch today in 12-18 ft of water. No problems, and the zoom worked great. I really like the bright display. It is noticeably brighter than my old FL-8.

ScottO

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 12-25-2002).]

Got my FL-18 today from Reeds and am ticked this is the 2nd time they screwed up my order. First they swore they would send my 18 with the upgrade and guess what? Yep, no update, 180,000 series and no markings V2 or version 2. Next item underneath the FL-18 box was a propack carrying case box, great right?
Wrong...
I ordered a Genz blue box.
Between the HT sonar light I ordered when they subbed out a Vex flex light without calling me and expected me to accept this inferior light I am less than enthused with there personnel that take orders.
Jeff at Reeds was nice and took care of everything. I think if I ever order there again I am talking to Jeff only.
So I have an 18, I am dying to test, no update, and no blue box.
Did your guys 18's come with battery leads? Mine did not.
That 12 degree ice ducer is one big mother. Gotta find a nice piece of styrofoam to protect it during transportation
I am gonna wait till the off season to send it back for the update anyhow if what ScottO described was the problem with a thin film of muck hopefully it won't affect me but even if it does I can fish it in Normal Mode...

Well I went to Reeds and got my stuff there was all fine and dandy.
But I dont think the 12 deg ducer is that big does it fit in the foam next to the battery on the propack? It should. If not then you probly got a 19 deg, they are BIG. Just wondering.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

fishstunner - Maybe if you go to the store it's one thing, but mail order was always good with them except for the last two times. Its a 12 degree, it says it on top of the ducer and the box it came in. No way in heck will it fit in the foam provided in the pro pack holder.

Just for kicks I put a tape measure to the MarCum and the Vex ducers

FL-18 12 deg. is 3" L x almost 1 7/8" wide
MarCum 20 deg. is 2 1/4" L x 1 1/2" wide

Isn't it the narrower the degree transducer the larger it get's? Man that 9 degree must be one big puppy on the 18.

CNY Why in the world do you want the big old Blue Box...10" holes? I haven't used one since they came out with the round Vexi case...fit's in a bucket if you want.

We call Jeff @ Reeds the snake oil salesman. He can sell you anything even if you didn't want it smile.gif I had some issues with them back in my Zercom Clearwater Pro 150 Khz days. When I was fed up because I couldn't see my jig I switched over to the Vexilar FL-8 SLT and he sent one in the mail before I sent the other one back that was pretty good customer service.

I now have the FL-18 that needed the flash and they did all 4 of ours while we waited but your not local frown.gif Vexilar has excellent customer service!

The Marcum sounds pretty nice. It remains to be seen whether Marcum will need good C.S. from the sounds of it they have a good product.

Ferny.

Ferny - I usually put my rods in my bucket. I have a fish trap pro. I like the blue box. Always have, preference I guess, they protect the unit well and you can load up the insulation around the battery compartment. They are tough and the vex options seem too cheesey. The only soft pack that I like is the MarCum LX-3's.
I have used the LX-3 10 times this season and it has performed incredible to say the least. The 10' zoom window is a nice option.
After I get the FL-18 squared away I will be able to compare the two after I learn all the 18's features and capabilities.
Jeff is a good guy and Teresa was pleasant on the phone but that Marge geez just listening to her voice makes me want to hurl.
Gonna update the 18 after the ice season is over with.

you get the bottem 6ft. with the FL-18,
isn't it about half that with the Marcum?
just curious, I have plenty of time to make a decision, but after scheels gave me the sales pitch and I seen the video on the Vex., I would have bought it there and then if I had the money to spare.
but I am glad there are some good fishers out there giving them both the test, this will help me make an intelligent decision when the time comes.
thanks

Dano 2 - Check the MarCum LX-3 tests I have been posting up. I love my MarCum! Will it's durability test the sands of time? So far so good.
The zoom technology on the MarCum is better than Vexilar, your not gonna need flash updates at least thus far I have not needed any.
If you fish suspended crappie this unit is a must. You get two multifunctional zoom windows a 5' and 10' zoom adjustable (in the 20' setting), through out the water column. I tested this zoom feature and it was incredibly detailed and accurate, fell in love with it immediately. The softpack and display are unprecidented., One look and your hooked. The target separation in zoom is solid and dead on. The charging system is incredible, easy 1 plug hook-up and forget about it. The softpack is the first one that I have used that was built to last, fully insulated, mesh side storage compartments. Interference rejection that works well with Vexilars.
You will be hearing more about the MarCum LX-3 and your going to like what users are saying. The MarCum is only a 20 degree ducer which may be the only negative that there are no options other than the one high speed ducer for the boat.
Do you fish waters predominantly say under 40'? The MarCum has shined thus far in depths under 35 ft.
If you weigh the Vexilar FL-18 Propack against the MarCum LX-3 System I would give the edge to MarCum.
Your gonna hear alot from Vexilar loyalist's and they are gonna be all over me on this as the generally tend to feed in packs... smile.gif
They don't want to admit it but they know the MarCum is nice but they won't bite the hand that feeds em at least not yet. I am anxious to get the FL-18 out but have to wait on an ice box for mounting I will be providing more posts. I will get to the nitty gritty of this
chevy/ford controversy. It's all in fun...

The blue "ice box" is the best! I have had one for my fl8 for 8 years. One thing I like about the icebox is when I am kneeling in front of it to fish, I and grab the handle and lean on it while getting up. Try that with the vex case haha
I went to thorne bros to buy a fl18 yesterday. they had one in their online catolog with the icebox and a cheaper battery at a good price. I got there only to find out they sold out all of that package, and cannot make anymore. I guess now to buy a fl18 you have to buy the whole vex package, holder, battery and charger. that is just plain bogus. When someone is spending big dough on a flasher, they should be able to mix and match parts. Ive loved vexilar for years, but if they start getting too nutty on me I may become a Marcum man wink.gif

><}}}("< ---><!>

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 12-28-2002).]

Hey CYBERFISH, I got my FL18 at the Vexilar service center. Got just the bare unit[already got the box, batteries, etc.] I had them put on the 9/19 degree transducer and tank test it. It was a reconditioned one but their techs check everything completely and it comes with a new warranty. It cost me $319 plus tax. Not a bad price. Call first to make sure they have them in stock. After you use the 9/19 transducer, you'll throw stones at the 12degree one. Their no. is 952-884-5291. They're good people to deal with.

IHB, thanks for the tip.
They are good to deal with usually. I used my fl8 for 0ver 5 years when the motor quit on it. I dropped it off to get fixed, and picked it up a week later. when I asked how much for the repairs they said no charge smile.gif
I gotta like that, eh? Still I wonder why they wont sell the new ones alone without the rest of the stuff. what about someone who doesn't icefish, but has their boat rigged up with a transducer already and just wants to upgrade?

Fish oooon!

><}}}("< ---><!>

Cyberfish, Mills Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park has the FL-18 with just the flasher,gimble mount,power cord, and transducer for 319.99. Last time I was there they had several left, and that was just before X-mas day.