• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman Gold Top mantles

Question

Does anyone know if Coleman is still making their Gold Top mantles, or more importantly, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase some??? These "regular" ones are all I can find for the last few years and I'm sick of having to replace them almost every time out. The #*&@ things seem like they get holes in them even when lighting them the first few times (and yes, I do burn them in before lighting the first time). Maybe there is another company that makes durable mantles for a Coleman dual fuel? Thanks!

11 answers to this question

I don't kow if they still make that particular mantel, but I did find a way to keep them longer. I have replaced the glass globe with a perforated steel one. I have the same mantel on from last year. I sounds strange, but it works as good as the glass as far as light output. I can't remember where I picked it up, but it might have been Gander Mountain. It is 3 years old now. I broke at least a couple of the glass globes a year.

Kslipsinker,
Yeah, seems like I've seen those steel mesh globes somewhere. I've only broken one glass one so far, but it's always a concern. This doesn't have any effect on mantle life though, does it? Just seems like those Gold Tops were a lot more durable than the standard cheapies, which are all that I can find nowadays. There's GOT to be something better out there. I don't want to go to an electric, because we also use our lanterns as a heat source.

Called Coleman's 800 number yesterday and get this - - Gold Top mantles were discontinued back in 1990!!! Must have been a lot of them around since it's only been a year or so since I have been unable to find them.

Related to this- there's gotta be a better option than the plain old mantles, isn't there??? Someone help me out with this one, I'm sick of replacing stupid mantles.
Scoot

yep, don't quite understand why gold tips were discontinued. These would easily take much more abuse than the standard ones. I have heard of guys going a season on a pair. My guess that is why they were discontinued, need poor products to break to help stimulate demand you know.

How about any brands other than Coleman that sells mantles that will work in these lanterns? Seems like some competition might lead to some better products! These fragile Green Tops are all I can ever find around here.

I've had great luck useing mantles made for gas RV lights in my old red single mantle Coleman, they're a bit larger-burn brighter-put out more heat-probably use more gas,though I can't say for sure about that or that they would fit well in a double mantle. I used one once for three years of ice fishing and camping and only lost it when my generater needed changeing. The ones I use are sold by Humphrey Products, Kalamazoo Michigan and they are made in England of all places.

[This message has been edited by 17mach4 (edited 12-06-2002).]

Hey 17mach4, you wouldn't BE from Kalamazoo, would you? If so, I'll just meet you on the ice tomorrow morning! I'll have to look into those RV mantles and see if they're too big for a dual mantle Coleman or not. Thanks for the tip!

I'm from just south of the IN/MI border, south of Sturgis MI. If you E-mail me for the gold-tops put "Ice Fishing" as the first thing in the subject line or I might not notice it in all the junk mail I delete.