• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2006 Chevy Silverado Suspension?

Last week I bought a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the Z71 off road package. It only has 21,000 miles on it and I love it.

After driving it for a couple days I have noticed that while driving down the road I can feel every small bump in the steering wheel. It feels like a slight clunk. Occasionally you can feel the clunk through the gas pedalalso but it mainly transmits up to steering wheel.

Any ideas on what would cause this? It looks like the original owner bought it in October of 2006 so the warranty is up real soon. If it's something I should get it in for, I need to do it now.

Intermediate steering shaft. Take it in and they'll replace it with the revised part. This is a common annoyance with these trucks and there is a TSB for this problem. Typically with this issue you will feel the rattle in the steering wheel at slower speeds while driving over rough surfaces. It feels like something is loose in the front end.

They used to have a grease repacking procedure but as you can imagine the problem eventually would come back.

To make sure thats what it is you can remove the bolt that connects the two shafts under the hood (make sure not to let the steering wheel rotate!!!!!!). Move the shaft that slides in on itself in and out several times. Reinstall the two shafts and see if the noise is gone. If so replace the shaft. If not it can still be the shaft but it could also be another problem.

A trained ear will hear the $$$, I mean noise, and know right away if its the shaft. grin

Thanks for the help.

Now here's another issue that popped up today...On the information center (where the digital odemeter is) today popped up Service 4WD. I don't see any other indications and haven't used the 4WD. Is this a normal "[PoorWordUsage]" indication telling me it's time for maintenance (truck only has 21,500 miles). Or is it detecting an issue with the gear box?

I've already answered my own question. Called a Chevy dealer and he said it's probably a switch or a sensor issue. It's scheduled to go in tomorrow for the 4WD and the intermediate steering shaft.

He also informed me that the warranty ends on November 11. So....are there any other "common issues" that I should be aware of and look/listen for? I searched the TSB's (wow, so many) but to the layman like myself it's very confusing.

The dash cluster is a very common problem to go out if it has not already with the previous owner. I had my cluster go out of warranty but GM sent me a letter about a year later telling me I was eligable to be reimbursed if I had it replaced. I mailed back the work invoice and they sent me a check for the repair bill. I believe if it still goes out of warranty they will cover it unless it has been done already. I know this was a bigger problem with 04's though, not so sure with an 06.

So....are there any other "common issues" that I should be aware of and look/listen for? I searched the TSB's (wow, so many) but to the layman like myself it's very confusing.

I was referring to "common issues" but yes as to the service 4wd, its most likely the switch like limitout said.