• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok, we were out this last weekend and I noticed alot of line twisting with the line. It was so bad the line would twist coming off the reel. My question is what swivels or snaps do people use. I have been using the Cabelas deluxe coastlocks. I don't know what the issue would be. They seemed like a good bearing swivel. Any ideas. I was running spoons with dipsy's and just a plain spoon and j-plug off a rigger. Thanks

First, were the reels spooled with new line and were they spooled correctly? Were you using dodgers or flashers when this occurred? Check the dypsie and make sure the swivel rotates easily with the line under pressure. I have had one that had burrs in the barrel swivel and wouldn't rotate smoothly when under pressure. Did you try swapping out swivels for a different type? I use opti swivels most of the time. Check how your setups are sunning at boatside and look at the rotation. Sometimes speed can cause issues with spoons. Never had an issue with j-plugs twisting up the line. Tere are some pretty crazy underwater currents that can mess things up at times as well. Did you spool out the line without anything on it and drag it behind the boat for awhile to get the twist out of it once it was discovered? Interesting problem. Let us know what you come up with.

Tunrevir~

We had the reels spooled at Cabela's, so I hope they were done correctly. We were using the fish shaped flasher. Next to the boat it appeared that the swivel was spinning fine, but who knows. I think I am going to go out and try a different brand of barrel swivels. thanks for the advise.

It seems later in the year when we tend to have warmer water, we fish near the bottom more, and have moss or weeds occassionally get around the ball bearing swivel, so I run 2 swivels at once, hooked back to back on flasher fly rigs.

Hitman Charters