• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How tough to remove driveshaft?

I need new u-joints on the rear driveshaft on my 03 Chev Suburban. I can save a few bucks if I take the drive shaft off and bring it in, instead of bring my truck in and having them do it.

Looks easy from search on internet - anyone have any opinion on this job? Seems to me the most difficult part is getting the truck high enough off the ground so I can easily access the four bolts where it bolts on to the transfer case. I don't have a lift.

There are four bolts that hold it to the yoke on the rear end. The other end has splines and slips off from the shaft in the transfer case. Make sure the wheels are chalked and the truck is in neutral. As long as you can get under the truck near where it bolts to the rear end you won't necessarily need to be on jacks. Have a drain pan under the transfer case just in case any fluid spills out of it when you pull the shaft.The rear joint will probably be a little stuck in the yoke so don't be afraid to get on it with a pry bar.

Make sure to mark the yokes, so you can install them in same position as they were before, this might eliminate eventual unbalancing.

If the driveshaft is 2 pieces, be sure to mark an outline on the center bearing mounting position on frame, so it won't be out of line.

Originally Posted By: Valv
Make sure to mark the yokes, so you can install them in same position as they were before

Um, if your replacing them there is no way to put them back in the same position? whistle

Uhm, all the yokes are part of driveshaft(s), u-joints fit inside them. As might as well keep same position to avoid unbalancing. whistle