Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajfresh

Youth hunting question

5 posts in this topic

I have two boys ages 9 and 10. I plan on taking the 10 year old out for the youth waterfowl opener. My question is can he hunt with me during the regular season also. Looking in the MN regs I can't see where it states the age were he can legally hunt waterfowl with me.

Thier is know age restriction on small game hunting in Minnesota you can check in the begining of the hunting laws and it will tell you at what age they have to purchase thier stamps and small game licenses.

Thanks for the info, i will check that out.

I remember when my brother told me that his 10 year old could legally carry a shotgun as long as he could demonstrate that he was competent and was with a guardian. That's great for the kids but why do we think that they suddenly become less competent at age 12? I've never really figured this one out.

Minnesota has no minimum age requirement for small game and waterfowl - they leave it up to the parents. I've had my son shooting ducks and snowshoes since age 9. The way I understand the laws in Wisconsin kids can't hunt anything until age 12 unless they are participating in the mentoring program which goes into effect for the first time on Sept 1st of this year.

Leaves you wondering how you can bring a kid up to be ready to down a deer at age 12 in Wisconsin when they previously couldn't even legally shoot a squirrel until age 12 confused

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Yes, you do have to have at least a weak cell signal and battery for the GPS to work. I know that can be challenging at times in the woods.
    •   Not sure about the new V6, but the old inline 6 was bulletproof, and had a lot of low end torque, which is a desirable feature in an off-road vehicle.       Any 1/2 ton pickup truck from the 70's and early 80's in particular, had a much better frame than a Jeep.  Body panels rust in all of them.   Not saying this is a deal-breaker for a Jeep, just something to watch for, since it is a very common problem.    
    • After doing a little looking there are a lot of options to these things. Anyone know how that new V6 compares to the in line 6? Some of the stuff I would like is the bigger tires and because I would consider putting a plow on it a lower rear end gear. The Dana 44 rear axel would be nice and would want a hard and soft top. I'm in no hurry to get one so Ill wait till the right one comes around. There are a lot of them out there that never leave the tar. More options in the later models as far as transmissions to. So it also comes down to how much I want to spend on one and how late of a model to buy. Sure don't want to spend 35K on a new one.
    • Well yeah but can you name a vehicle built for off road including any domestic pickup truck that doesn't have issues with rust. Fenders, rockers, frames etc. If you play in the mud and salt you need to maintain them. UTVs are no different. Ask yourself why Polaris would put the air filter canister intake in the rear wheel well so it is sucking in the air from the dustiest area they could possibly draw it from resulting in a 4k bill when the motor grenades.    Jeeps are fun, used ones can be had at a reasonable price but by their nature you need to be careful when you purchase because if the previous owner drove them the way they were marketed then they may have some issues.   But the aftermarket has an amazing amount of mods,upgrades and accessories to make your Jeep into anything you want and because the generally go 10 years between major design changes there are a large number of parts available if you need them.     
    • Anyfish it's still points and way better than a zero for points! Congrats on the fine eating bird.
    • Pick up a Jake morning.  Not going help the team score, if at all.  But it sure will taste good.
    • It's been very quiet in the woods the past few days.  Some gobbling this morning.
    • Nice! Way to go! Hope I'm able to get out and enjoy hunting when I'm that age.
    • Well, one of the advantages to owning a Jeep is there are always plenty of Jeep owners out there looking for parts, so if you get ahold of one with a bad frame, you could always part it out and sell the parts to another Jeep owner who believes they have a good frame....      
  • Our Sponsors