Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajfresh

Youth hunting question

5 posts in this topic

I have two boys ages 9 and 10. I plan on taking the 10 year old out for the youth waterfowl opener. My question is can he hunt with me during the regular season also. Looking in the MN regs I can't see where it states the age were he can legally hunt waterfowl with me.

Thier is know age restriction on small game hunting in Minnesota you can check in the begining of the hunting laws and it will tell you at what age they have to purchase thier stamps and small game licenses.

I remember when my brother told me that his 10 year old could legally carry a shotgun as long as he could demonstrate that he was competent and was with a guardian. That's great for the kids but why do we think that they suddenly become less competent at age 12? I've never really figured this one out.

Minnesota has no minimum age requirement for small game and waterfowl - they leave it up to the parents. I've had my son shooting ducks and snowshoes since age 9. The way I understand the laws in Wisconsin kids can't hunt anything until age 12 unless they are participating in the mentoring program which goes into effect for the first time on Sept 1st of this year.

Leaves you wondering how you can bring a kid up to be ready to down a deer at age 12 in Wisconsin when they previously couldn't even legally shoot a squirrel until age 12 confused