• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saw some Huns yesterday

I used to see them back in the 70's in S. MN occasionally. I see them a lot more out in S. Central N. Dak (Along the Mo)where I hunt Phez and Sharpies. I'd say in MN the loss of large expanses of cover and way too many Skunks, Yotees and Fox could have some impact.

They're great eating, though when you get a few to make a meal. They're like a little bonus you get Hunting that makes the top of list for trip highlights.

Generally speaking I believe Huns have a fairly small home range. Back in the late 70s and early 80s we had a lot of Huns in the area. We would kick up the same covey in the same fence line a few times each year and from one year to the next. It wasn't unusual to see 8 to 12 coveys a day. Most of the time they had anywhere from 12 to 30 birds in each covey. I miss having those little buggers around in decent numbers.

Totally agree with koonie. The huns that we do see are in the same areas that we saw them twenty odd years ago just not as many. There home range is pretty small. A covey will keep showing up in the same general area over and over again.

We had a patch of grass we could walk every year to get a nice covey rise out of. We could hit it more than once, every year, for many, many years. That was back in the late 80's and early 90's when we had them running through our yard and picking our berries often in the mornings. We still see quite a few in NW MN every year, but not huge numbers. SW MN we see at least a covey or two every single trip down, often in the same areas as the year before.