• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cowgirl repair question... Any info would help.

After hooking into a few fish and getting my cowgirls wraped in the net. I had to cut the back hooks to to unhook the fish.

In order to replace the hooks I had to cut off the black collar on the spit ring that holds the hook straight.

QUESTION, I hear you can buy replacements but are there any other ways to quick fix or replace them. I was thinking of using electical tape and then melting it to stay.

Thanks

I'm thinking about removing the middle hook on my Willo Beast and taping up the back hook. Would this be a bad idea? I feel like if a fish t-bones that bait hard enough to get the middle hook, i'd get it on the back hook anyway. Should I not tamper with the original design, or have any of you done this on your DCG's?

I thought I would add a few comments. The shrink tubing is like $6 for eight feet of it at the hardware store. It's like $4 at the bait shops for two little 3" pieces.

If you are going to use this you might have trouble unless you cut the wire and bend a new one. Without doing this you would have to take the hook off the split ring and slide the tubing up as far as possible, then put the hook back on and pull the tubing back down over the split ring and hook. You don't have room to slide everything up that far on most cowgirls.

Maybe there is another trick with the shrink tubing, but I just thought I would add that before you grab shrink tube and are having fits with it.

If you are going to use this you might have trouble unless you cut the wire and bend a new one. Without doing this you would have to take the hook off the split ring and slide the tubing up as far as possible, then put the hook back on and pull the tubing back down over the split ring and hook. You don't have room to slide everything up that far on most cowgirls.

Taking the hook off is exactly how i've done it on mine, no problems...you don't need much more than and inch or inch and a half of tubing...electrical tape is cheaper and easier though...

Bronz, based on the number of fish i've gotten this year on the front/middle hook on baits (9 of the last 10 in august), i'd leave that hook on there...they like to head shoot stuff!

thanks for the reply, and I'm really only thinking of takign that middle hook off because the skirt on the Willo Beast is a rubber skirt and a lot the skirting gets tangled up in that middle treble and it ends up just gobbing up, it might not matter to the fish, but it could look a lot better in the water, and also I'm losing pieces of the skirt due to it getting tangled in the hook and I've only had the bait out for two days.

bronz

you are thinking of totally taking the middle hook off.. Just my oppinion.. I would say that over half the fish I have caught on CG's are on the front hook. Like redig said its almost like they head shoot it or t-bone it. Plus that will bring down you hooking percentage by 50%.. two hooks, double the odds.

I haven't used many silicone skirts on my bucktails but if it's gettin caught in the hook you can try to fill the back side of the hook. I am talking about the junction of the 3 shafts. I know that the smaller flashabou likes to get stuck in there. I have seen guys melt stuff in there or sauter (sp?) that space. - Maybe that helps?