• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guess no one on here can help

Mnbirdinglady

Hello all i'm new to the bird watch and now i want to take a few pictures.But i don't know what kind of camera to get( i need one on the low end side for now.If you know what i mean.Could someone help me out on here.

By the way you all really know how to take pictures!!

Great Job everyone.

Hey there birding lady. Welcome to HSO/FM. Great to have you here.

You've asked what seems like a simple question, but whole books have been written in answer.

Avian photography is perhaps the most demanding niche within nature photography. By the handle you chose, my assumption is that you are a birder. If so, that will help immensely, because knowing the habits of one's subjects is vital in effectively capturing them with camera/lens. I've been a birder since I was 11, and it helped me move quickly and well into avian photography when I decided to pick up the camera. If you haven't been birding long or photographing birds before, then you have a lot of fun and very rewarding learning ahead of you.

You haven't indicated in any way your level of understanding when it comes to photography, so I don't really have a starting point from which to advise you.

Do you know the difference between point-and-shoot digital cameras and DSLRs, for example? Please give us a little more information so we can better help you. There are some very experienced avian photographers on this board, but you have to help us out just a bit more to get the best advice.

And please be patient with us. It'll take more than a day to get feedback on the subject. smilesmile

I will tell you you are going to need a DSLR and a lens at least 300mm in focal length for starters, but will save more detailed comments until I have a bit more info.

And thanks again for signing on as a member! smile

Here is a link from a "new camera" discussion a couple of months ago on the photography forum. If you are looking for a "point & shoot" style I would look at something that has a 10X or 12X zoom. I know both Canon and Sony have something like that for under $400. Both of these take good pictures and that strength of zoom will help you get some nice bird shots I think. Good luck!

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1800562/Getting_a_new_camera#Post1800562

Welcome aboard Mnbirdinglady! I hope Steve and Dockothebay were able to help you out a little.

I didn’t mean to sound standoffish in my response but I was having a little bee problem in my garage and just got zapped. I wanted to direct you to some of the great people in the photography section to help you out. Steve is a great person to help you out along with many others on the board. Don’t be afraid to ask questions as there are many talented photographers in here willing to answer them.

The one thing that you will have to watch out for is the addiction for more power(longer lens= more power)cause it can take a big hit on the pocketbook but you will swear it is worth it grin You will want a DSLR and because you are just getting started you should look at some great deals on used equipment. I should have my Canon 30D up for sale in the Photography forum but I just can't seem to part with it right now but I know that it needs to be sold in order to get me that new 400mm that I want so bad. If you don't feel like buying used from a private party some of the bigger shops that are online also sell used equipment like Adorama and B&H.

Hello and thanks for the info. I take pictures of my grandkids now with my digital(hp) small one.I took some of the chickadees at my feeders but hard to see.I have 9 different kinds of birds in my back yard so far.And so i want to take pictures.And now that i lost my job i have been building bird house and feeders,and thought i would take some pictures.Steve i dont know to much about that camera talk but i'm a fast learner.

Sure hope dave is ok with the bees!!

I just don't want to get to the store and they tell me i need something when i don't.

So any help you all can give is great.

Thanks

Eyvonne