• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting boot care?

scotta

I finnally broke down and bought a quality pair of hunting boots. Danner pronghorn. I'm looking for information on how to keep them in the best shape and get the longest time out of them as possible. what works for you guys?I have heard of supergluing seams, spraying the whole boot with waterproofing,etc. Please throw some ideas my way. Thanks.

I always like to put on a couple of healthy coats of silicone on before they ever see any dirt or mud and then I repeat the process every fall. If they are dirty I will wash them off with a little saddle soap and let them dry for a couple days and then I will apply my silicone. I like to pull out the laces just so the silicone gets into all the seams.

another good thing that I use other than silicone spray is a water proofing paste wax that Filson makes for water proofing upland game chaps. I use this on my Proghorns it does take a little more elbow grease to rub it in but it lasts alot longer from what I have seen. Cabelas carries it. it comes in a 3" dia metal tin and costs about 7-10 bucks. If you do choose a paste wax for water proofing, I would recommend heating your boots with a hair dryer before and after application. Good choice on the boots by the way.

Danners ARE quality boots but, they are still leather and take more care like mentioned above. My 15 year old Rocky Bear Claw II, 1000gm get handled with kit glove care. I throw em in the closet in the spring and drag em out when the weather predicts. Never been wet or cold with em. But, Like I said, Danners are good. Take extra care and they'll last ya quite a while.

You bought a quality boot. One of the worst things you can do is put silicone on them. The reason pronghorns are one of the best is they use a gore tex membrane. Gore-Tex is the most waterproof/BREATHABLE product out there. The minute you put silicone on them it stops all breathability to the boot. They are SUPER waterproof though. You could do that with a cheap pair of boots. Use a conditioner so the leather doesn't dry up and that will be the best care for any high quality leather boot.

I have only used Danners boot cleaner and care products on my Danners...NO complaints..Just figured they know what works best on the boots they make...Great choice, fantastic boots...Take care of them and they will lst many years...If you wear the soles out, send them in and new ones can be added...

This is off of Goretex's HSOforum for footwear.

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT

We do not recommend the use of waterproofing waxes or greases as they can affect the footwear's breathability. Apply only treatments, polishes, conditioners, and dressings recommended by the manufacturer.

This is the reason I use silicone on my boots. It was what Rocky said to use on there goretex lined boots when I bought them 15 years ago and I can still stand in water and never get so much as a drop on the inside. If you look for the spray can style of water repellent the active ingredient is silicone.

Nix-wax is the best thing you can put on gore-tex boots. It's easy to apply and doesn't clog the membrane. A good pair of leather boots properly cared for will outlast any cordura on the market. I upland hunt behind dogs and I was eating through cordura boots once a season before I saw the light and switched.