• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shift question

propster

40 hp 1993 Merc with shifter knob/lever down in front of motor. Has a little plate on top with 3 indentations underneath where shift rod bumps to whatever position. When putting it in reverse last year found it wouldn't stay put. So I installed a new plate but that doesn't seem to do anything - still pops out of reverse. So I'm thinking it's not a position thing, but rather a gear issue or something not lining up. Last had it apart to change the impeller but it went back together pretty well and it was quite awhile after that that this started happening. Any ideas? Runs fine other than this so this does not seem to be affecting it in any other regard. Thanks fellas.

Good Morning I would pull the lower unit off again and make sure that you are putting it together in FULL reverse. As if not in FULL reverse the clutch dog will not sit correctly into the reverse gear and jump out of gear when you put it into gear.

I think with Mercs and Mariners you put it back together in forward and then the splines should match up. You might need to turn the shaft a little one direction but I can't remember if clockwise or counter clockwise.

Merc's are recommended to be pulled apart and reinstalled in forward. Either way it doesn't matter, so long as when you pull it apart you make sure it's functioning properly after you re-install it.

I would pull the hood off, and disconnect the shift cable (it's a short one), manually put the linkage in reverse, and see how close the shift cable aligns with the pin on the linkage.

It sounds like a internal lower unit issue, but the things listed above are good things to check first.

marine_man

Maybe stupid question - do I disconnect the shift cable while shifter is in neutral, then manually put the linkage in reverse, then shift the gear lever to reverse and see how far away it is? Thank you!

Thats what I would do. If the linkage lines up with the shift rod, then it sounds like the problem is down in the gearcase. The clutch dog or fwd gear lugs, more than likely.

I have always pulled the gearcase off in fwd gear.