• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold Front

Choco Taco

Tough fishing in League last night. Had 12 boats and a few did ok. winning weight was 10 lb 4 oz with three bass. Guess they caught them burning white spinnerbaits around some reed near an island. I was tossing larger swimbaits through sparse cover and then skipping senkos under docks. We caught fish but they were short. We weighed in 3 lb 10 oz with three fish. Ended up 8th place out of 12. Very windy / tough conditions. I was hoping to get some larger fish just off the weedline with that swimbait or a crank but it just wasn't ment to be... frustrating. I'll be happy when the weather is back to normal July weather. It seems like late september weather to me.

I always fish SLOOOOWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwww, dont be afraid to let your Jig/Worm sit for 20 seconds before moving it

Or do the opposite and look for reaction bites. Sometimes downsizing and slowing down is the wrong way to go.

Originally Posted By: Craigums
I always fish SLOOOOWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwww, dont be afraid to let your Jig/Worm sit for 20 seconds before moving it

Or do the opposite and look for reaction bites. Sometimes downsizing and slowing down is the wrong way to go.

And sometimes going bigger larger faster is the wrong way to go.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. I fished fast looking for the reaction bite and then when the situation warranted, I slowed it down and skipped wacky rigged comidas. Caught one of our keepers on the swimbait, I caught another on a senko under a dock, and my parter picked one up with a coffee tube. I did miss one under a dock on the comida.... using spinning tackle so I can skip better, I was way up under a dock ( about 8-10 feet ) and felt the tap, set the hook, felt some weight, and saw the line do a flippin circle around a pontoon lift post....and... LOST IT.... UGGGHHHH!

If I were hitting it today (current temps 56deg and breezy) I would be leaning Ratl-trap first, then go from there.

Some times fish don't follow the coldfront=shutdown rules. Cover water and get reaction bites first, then come back and try ( eek ) to pick apart the area further with something slower, like a jig worm, smallest size you can still feel/control.

If that fails.... get out the big gear and fish for Pike.

Hiya -

To me it kind of depends on when the front came through. The first day after the front sometimes isn't so bad. At least try what was working before the front. The second day is usually the worst I think.

Largemouths seem to move less than smallies when a front comes through, unless they're real shallow. Seems like they just tuck tighter to cover. I start with crankbaits most often, and see if I can get a reaction strike. It also helps me locate where there might be more fish concentrated - inside turns, points on a weedline, or thicker clumps of weeds on the deep weed edge. Part of the purpose is catching fish. The other is to use it as a depth/weed finder to find likely spots to come back to with slower stuff.

Once I think I've found a few fish I'll slow down and fish back through the spots where I either caught fish on the crank or found something I think should be holding fish. Small paddle tail grubs, craws, or 4" creature jigs (A 4" Jungle Hog on a 1/8 oz football head is a favorite) fished on the weedline are great. Drop shotting or split shotting wors good too. Dead sticking is great if you really have fish pegged. Kind of fun sitting there waiting for the line to move off...

Basically though, I fish fast if I can, at least to help me find fish. If I think I've found fish, I move back and fish smaller spots more thoroughly and slowly.

If that all fails...nap time... smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Well, you guys confirmed my gut before I head out tonight. I have one rod rigged with a spinnerbait that I am going to reel fast for a reaction bite. I have a drop shot rod rigged up (using a fluke right now but thinking of using a finesse worm) and another rigged with a senko. If these fail, I am going to take someone else's suggestion and do nap time. grin

Went fishing tonight didnt expect much but gave it an honest effort. Ended catching a good amount of bass and walleye drop shotting. Didnt try anything else before giving up on bass to chase some 'skis (which also cooperated) but bass were hitting our 'ski baits, too.

The only thing we could think of was that the slow falling temps all week werent enough to put the fish in too much of a funk and the wind and overcast helped the bite today.

I went out this afternoon not really expecting much as well. Threw small cranks, dropshotted, and jigwormed my way to a pretty decent afternoon. Lot's of smaller fish on these techniques but fun nonetheless. The last 45 minutes I started using a 1/2 ounce white chatterbait with a 3 1/2" swimbait as a trailer. Bam!! That's what they wanted...caught 5-6 fish between 16"-18" with the largest topping out at 19.5" with a 15" girth. Fish weighed out at 5.8lbs...biggest fish of the year so far and an absolute tank. Glad I went out.

Well I went against the grain and used a top water scum frog and caught quite a few good sized bass. The best one was around 4.5 lbs. with quite a few 3 pounders. Caught them in the weeds on the leeward side of the lake where the water was calm, tried swimbaits and spinners also, but the frogs did it. My buddy who was with me called the bait the "scum frog millionaire" we really had a good time. We did keep a few to eat.

Rick

Edit: I have pics of the live well if anyone wants to see, my buddy caught a bunch of crappie as well.

Here are a couple pics of some deep water bass that smacked a jig. Check out the bull head tail... This one was thick and measured 19.5 inches. Hard to beleive she was interested in my jig when she already had a mouth full.

digitalcamerapics016.jpg

digitalcamerapics015.jpg

digitalcamerapics017.jpg

Familiar sight there Fever...i've caught lot's and lot's of them this year with the bullhead tail sticking out of their throat. Makes a guy wonder some times?? I guess it's the power of the reaction strike.