Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roughfish29

big fish spots around metro

26 posts in this topic

i usually fish the vermillion river in farmington, and don't get me wrong, i love that river. But most of the fish in it are around 3 pounds. where can i go where i can catch fish over 10 pounds? i have tried lake harriet before, but it gets way to weed choked this time of year to do much.

any help would be great

if you would like to email me send it to: berb123@gmail.com

You looking for carp? I've got a couple in tonka, at the shore fishing spot by the grey's bay access. Not too weedy. I also posted a spot on the St. Croix that I saw a bunch, but it's pretty tough to get there by foot and I'm not 100% positive it's public land (it's owned by the power plant) since there's no fences or signs saying you can't fish it.

Is the Greys Bay access spot you speak of referring to the bridge?

If I had the time, I would definitely target Minnetonka. I've fished in Harrison Bay in the spring and the average carp is around 10 pounds with sightings of 20lb +......

roughfish, there's places to fish from shore all over the lake. Are you familiar with minnetonka at all?

lake marion with out a doubt real big guys in there

I'd start at the other side of the grey's bay access, under the bridge. Deephaven beech is also pretty good, so i've heard. Just drive around the lake and look for spots to fish, they're pretty plentiful

what should i use for bait? crawlers?

Corn. The sunnies will pick a crawler to death in 2 minutes, if it even gets to the bottom before they attack it.

sorry about all the questions, but how do you prepare corn?

i've tried corn a few times but i don't even get a sniff from a carp

Just due to location I've been fishing Twin Lakes in robbinsdale, HWYs 100/81 and catching northern. The lakes is separated by hwy 100 by a channel. Seen good size carp on either side of the bridge.

No problem with all the questions, that's what this forum is here for! I just take it outta the can and put it on the hook.

I've seen big carps in Marion lake before but it's hard to fish them from shore due to weed and sunfish steals. I haven't been to that lake for a while though.

By the way, where do you go shore fishing at Vermillion river? I want to give it a try.

i go about a block behind the farmington fire station. i do alot of wading as well. either there or around rambling river park, wich is also in farmington. look for deep water with a good amount of cover. try for both carp and pike. most of the carp are small but the pike get to really nice size. last spring i got a 35 inch while i was carp fishing and i've hooked into one that was pushing 38 on my fly rod.

for carp, try sight-fishing with a crawler. when you see one, cast beyond it and slowly bring the worm to the fish. for pike, throw a suick or a big rapala into deep water, make several casts to same spot before moving on. also for pike, keep in mind that if you don't see them that dosen't mean that they aren't there.

polorized glasses really help. the key to this river is to spend ALOT of time fishing. i can't promise you fish your first time but if you take the time to figure this place out, you will be greatly rewarded.

good luck

sorry about all the questions, but how do you prepare corn?

i've tried corn a few times but i don't even get a sniff from a carp

Go to the grocery store.

Pick up a can of whole kernel sweet corn.

Open can.

Put corn on a hook.

Cast out where carp are cruising, and wait.

That's all the preparation I have ever needed, corn is my fav. carp bait in lakes and slow moving water.

i go about a block behind the farmington fire station. i do alot of wading as well. either there or around rambling river park, wich is also in farmington. look for deep water with a good amount of cover. try for both carp and pike. most of the carp are small but the pike get to really nice size. last spring i got a 35 inch while i was carp fishing and i've hooked into one that was pushing 38 on my fly rod.

for carp, try sight-fishing with a crawler. when you see one, cast beyond it and slowly bring the worm to the fish. for pike, throw a suick or a big rapala into deep water, make several casts to same spot before moving on. also for pike, keep in mind that if you don't see them that dosen't mean that they aren't there.

polorized glasses really help. the key to this river is to spend ALOT of time fishing. i can't promise you fish your first time but if you take the time to figure this place out, you will be greatly rewarded.

good luck

Nice!

be sure to give us reports if you go!!!!

Don't have any plan yet. I drove by the river a few times before near the county fair ground.

I went to Rambling river park yesterday. The water is really low right now. It is also so clear, I can't imagine there is any fish in it. I ended up fishing a local pond. Maybe I'll try different spots.

I can't imagine there is any fish in it.

haha everyone i know says that. but like i said above, you really need to spend some time down there. on the other side of the elm street bridge is a good pool to start catching carp

Thanks for the tip. Lake Julia in Farmington has carp. I caught one about 5-6 lbs last week.