• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish Safari Rods

bobbymalone

Well I decided to pull the trigger on that channel cat rod from Catfish Safari even though there were some mixed reviews. I was particularly concerned about the not fitting a 6500 abu, but I figured I would just return it if didn't work.

I am happy to report that the ~20 year old 6500C3 I inherited from gramps fits perfectly in that rod. The rod looks great and the action seems like what I am looking for too. Hitting the river tonight for its test flight.

i have the lake addition catfish safari with the blue raps and have put both a 6500blue cat, 7000I, and an okuma pro 302 on it with no problem even broke bown a nice tree yesterday with no breakage i am very satisfied and will probablly get the green wrapped with the camo grip one sooner or later

I'm going to cross boundary here but I have a recommendation for a couple of very good combo's for cats...but the come from the Muskie realm.

Bass Pro handles the Signature Series of Pete Maina's rods/combo's. I have had several for years and they hold up very well.

71677.jpg

For a rod with a lot of flexibility of use, the PMX80HT-T offers a sensitive tip and good backbone. Great rods for Channel cats and sturgeon, and the pike and Muskie trips with spinner baits, bucktails, and jerk baits.

The PMX72HT offers serious backbone and also serves well for the heavy spin baits like the Double Cowgirls hot for Muskie these days.

The reels do well, but for the heavy flathead fishing most will like to opt for the rods and upgrade to the heavy duty reels of choice.

The rods offer the XPS weight balancing system.

57488.jpg

Very handy deal, less so for baitfishing, but the ability to tune the rods weight still make for a better balanced rod for it's various applications.

Great rods and combos, and they have a broad line of use for the multi species angler. I know several cat guys who have been using them for years will great luck.

Rod/Reel Combo's run $179.98, rods run $119.99.

You may from time to time bump into one of the Cat'rs on the Minn River who is a fan of these Pete Maina rods ...his nickname is "Oppie". wink